Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

A very young squad carrying several long term injuries already (Niall O'Meara, Barry Heffernan, Paddy Cadell, Ciaran Connolly, Craig Morgan, Ger Browne).

3 more injuries to key, key players in Forde, Morris and Barrett. Any team would miss those 3. Gearoid O Connor going off injured after 10 minutes, been superb this year. Brian McGrath off with concussion in 2nd half.

A young squad with plenty of championship debutants getting up to speed with the intensity of the Championship. They will learn from today.

Joe Canning spot on, on the Sunday Game. This will end up being a good thing for Tipp. Get everybody back fit, a few weeks rest. They will still be a force to be reckoned with.

Tipp are building as much as Cork are and actually got out of Munster. Tipp had no wins last year. Progress has been made.

Two weeks in a row Limerick carried to a result by the ref. Cork out of the Championship because of it.

Not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Cork got about 6 of the softest frees ever given in a match. Stop with the blaming the ref nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'd argue they were more unlucky with injuries & all star players retiring (both Mahers) last year, but Bonnar wasn't given any time as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I agree. Dowling very poor. But it's lucky we have you with "Gillane pulled down 10 times every game" with no evidence but the ones with evidenced SHOWN on TV "ara they don't tell the story"

Great to have such unbiased view as yourself.

I love it. The RTE pundits are always called "useless" and are "always wrong" until the day what they say suits your personal bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not sure how likeable Canning is as a pundit.

Repeatedly uses nicknames for the Galway players.

Refering to Conor Whelan as "Whelo" doesn't really come across very well On TV.

We weren't more unlucky with injuries last year. Bonnar had more options than Cahill does. Just not true. Morgan, Heffernan, Quirke (RIP) would be 100% starting this year, Bonnar had all three. Bonnar had Ger Browne, reasonable chance Browne would have started at least 2 games this year.

The standard of play is night and day different from this year to last. It couldn't be more obvious that there has been huge improvement from Cahill to Bonnar. Today aside, every other game, we have been tactically spot on, had equal or better workrate than the opposition.

Like I can only assume an agenda against Cahill if you are trying to argue that Bonnar deserved more time. Cahill has emphatically proved how out of his depth Bonnar was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

A contrived DonalOG analysis delivered political correct by I don't know what to do with my hands Canning!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Glenomra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Because they won't let one of their own counties in.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I didn't realize at the match that a draw for Limerick meant Tipp were out.

Everyone around me thought a Cork equalizer was a death sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Leinster did not have more at stake. Two of the places in the All Ireland series were up for grabs all day in Munster. Leinster's top three was already decided in advance.

The top three in Leinster and even their order would've been the same if yesterday's games were never played. The Leinster finalists were predictable from day one and it has come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Did you actually see the game they played…..it was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

If fairness, I thought it was a great day of matches in both provinces. Plenty of drama and excitement. Same teams in both provincial finals as last year. Some might call that predictable but it's all about the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not questioning good games or drama. We won't even get into predictability as we'll have the same Leinster finalists for the fourth time in six years and potentially the same Munster Champions five years running.

The matter raised was what was at stake yesterday. There was far more at stake in Munster given that the three qualifiers in Leinster were already known. One of three teams playing in Munster yesterday was exiting. That's not a judgement on Leinster, just a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

In Leinster there were 3 teams in contention for 1 relegation spot from next year's Leinster Championship. And went right down to the wire. Who says Leinster is predictable?

But unfortunately neither of the 2 matches concerned was on TV. Will we hear Varadker or Martin making a stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The threat of relegation in any code at any level will always far outweigh not making the quarter finals of a competition. No munster team yesterday was playing to retain their Liam McCarthy Status.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It was mad. I hadn't realised that the gap was as short as Tipp needing to lose by less than 5. I suppose 40k people at the gaelic grounds meant score updates weren't as quick getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭SlowChris

They need to bring in VAR now.

There's too much at stake to have decisions like the Gillane penalty potentially affecting results and championship.

And sure how can a referee be expected to see what's going on.

This image is just after the ball was sent in to Gillane for the penalty. The ref is at half way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

VAR would be great. Limerick would get about 15 more frees / penalties a game thanks to the fouling/holding by opposition full backs on Gillane/Flanagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Cork scored 13 points from frees yesterday, most of them soft if frees at all.

At the other end Limerick got 6 frees despite repeating holding of the limerick forwards blatently ignored apart from 2 inciidents one been the penalty .

Holding of forwards is one of the few blights on the game of hurling, the Clare Full back put out his shoulder holding one of the cork forwards who made a sudden run in Ennis last week , a bit of Karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Gillane and Flanagan face nothing that any other inside forward in the game doesn't face, like have you seen the Limerick fullback line play at all? 

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

The VAR machine would burn out after 10 minutes in any hurling match. Until we do something about throws, over carrying, spare hand tackles then we are coding ourselves about VAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Limerick's approach to tackling is to leave something on every player that tries to get passed them, be it a high tackle quickly followed by pulling the hurl out, a quick pull on the shoulder or an open armed clothes line to the chest to change the opponents direction, everything is intended to impede progress by just a few seconds, ideally without conceding a free. 

They do it so often that it makes it difficult for referees to award the frees and when they do penalise Limerick for this, there have been so many of these offences that have gone unpunished during the game that appears to be a soft free to the Limerick fans. 

When a player does break through, well, yesterday we saw and heard an example of what happens then when Kyle Hayes promptly ensured that no further progress would be made by distributing a lick of timber.

It is cynical but it works and I wish my own team adopted the same approach to the same extent as long as it continues to be rewarded. 

However it makes it hard to listen to Limerick fans pointing to frees awarded stats after a game as if the referee should be distributing the frees evenly or something, especially when you consider that the referee is already ignoring dozens of throwing offences by Limerick players anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Is it not the approach of every team to leave something on every player that tries to get passed them it's not just Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Come out of it. Cork lost 4 points due to incorrect calls by the ref.

Advertisement