Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

"5 or fewer" - fair play. A lesser man would've got that wrong!

But are people not entitled to comment on Galway? Or is there a moratorium we should know about?

As a neutral observer today, Galway were dire. Very nearly found a way to lose to a team with a horrendous record. Just like they couldn't beat Dublin. Happy days of course if somehow getting within 3/4 points of Limerick floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

A few reputations took a beating today, Liam Cahill's and the strength of Munster hurling. Logically both provincial third placed teams were beaten by the losing provincial finalists e.g. a team notionally a place above them this year. However, the early rounds in Munster looked miles ahead of Leinster but the end result is that both third placed teams were well beaten.

Liam Cahill has had two very flat and tactically poor outings from 6 games. After last year in Waterford that's a worry for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

When one dreams of who would be the perfect opposition to beat in an All Ireland Final Clare would be second on my Galway list! Always plenty of edge between the two teams. Tipp would obviously be out in front but that's done and dusted now for another year. Kilkennys recent wins probably have them pushing Clare a close second. Galway vs Cork has fizzled out quite a bit.

Still if Galway manage a miracle to topple Limerick an All Ireland Final against Clare/Kilkenny will be either dream or a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Indeed ye do, 28 huge victories and unless you're 139 years old and posting on boards, chances are you have seen how many of those victories? 6 would be my guess and I'm being hugely generous (most likely just the 4). 6 victories in the past 50 years iirc.

I'll say it again, because it's hard to believe for a county who think of themselves as perennial winners. 6 victories in 50 odd years.

I have a 10 year old nephew who has experienced nearly as many Limerick all Ireland victories as the hardest of hardcore 50 year old Tipp fans.

I'll be genuine once more, in that last 20 minutes today, I shouted Tipp on. I felt filthy, but it was for my county. I knew it meant a definite all Ireland final appearance again if Tipp somehow drunkenly stumbled to victory. Alas, it wasn't to be. Limerick will have to do it the hard way if at all.

• Advertisement

Munster hurling's reputation took no beating today. The second placed team in Leinster was hanging on at the end against the third placed team in Munster which itself won just one game, and lost to the fifth placed team.

Conversely, the second placed team in Munster (who lost to the third placed team in Munster) destroyed Leinster's third team without even playing well.

This suggests greater strength in depth in Munster as we suspected. Nothing to see here, except maybe the exact poverty of Leinster's third team. We didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

As a Galway man, I think Clare will win the All Ireland. I see them overpowering KK and beating Limerick in the final. They seem to have a very tight/committed/gutsy/skilful squad.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Unfortunately Limerick 2021 is a foreign country. On current form and with missing players, we'll be hoping for faithful days indeed rather than those fateful ones like '09.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

If we wer beaten by Tipp today worrying about how much Limerick would beat them by would be the furthest thing on my mind. If it was a neutrals comment fair enough but it stank of sourness

I didnt say Galway were good.... the butchered the guts of 3-10 while still having periods of the game where the ball to the inside forwards was complete muck

And where did I say getting within 3/4 points of Limerick would float my boat. I never mentioned Limerick at all so stop talking rameash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think the Munster teams have to 'peak' earlier in the season to try to get out of Munster. It is quite hard to maintain the levels of performnace for a few months and possibly why Tip were so flat. Clare were largely poor and making rather uncharasteric mistakes too, particularly in the first half, but Dublin simply don't have the quality I think to take advantage of it.

In Leinster, Galway and Kilkenny are basically qualifying without ever having to reach such levels.

I'm not saying Munster hurling is necessarily better than Leinster as a result, but I do think that it is a major factor.

Limerick have not been putting in 'peak' performances this year though - maybe the mileage is catching up on them or maybe they are going to do it now and will win another All Ireland - I think it's the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

So bizzare that anyone would care about whether a province is better than another one. Only Munster people seem obsessed with this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Speaking to a few Galway’s fans after todays game and don’t think any of them would agree that they beat Tipp well. They were the better side yes but Tipp played far worse than the Waterford game and yet Galway could have been robbed at the end.

Finding the constant Munster vs Leinster jibes quite tiring to be honest. The top 3 in each province are there on merit and generally can beat their counterpart in the other province on a given day. However, it’s also fair to say that it’s harder to come third in Munster than it is in Leinster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The first poster to mention this today was from Dublin - and mentioned it several times.

Not that it really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

deleted

Simply to point out the fact that " only Munster people are obsessed with that' isn't exactly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Indeed, why I'm exceptionally wary of Galway in an all Ireland semi and see it as a real 50/50, unlike the bookies.

You seem to be painting my comments as some sort of Limerick are unbeatable schtick, which was never once said. I fear Galway and if Limerick somehow get that done (I agree btw, I think Limerick are running on fumes, but are some team and still getting things done), I really fear Clare in an all Ireland final if that was how it all panned out (I don't fear KK as much).

I'll reiterate though, I don't for a second think Limerick are certs for all Ireland glory. I think there's little in it between the final four. I never got a second thought in the same way regards this Tipp team though, who are completely harmless. I'm one of many Limerick fans who felt grubby this evening half hoping Tipp would get it done. It would have been a superb result for Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Clare for the win now, I think.

I think we only beat them in the semi- last year because they were drained from the Munster Final.

They'll want to avenge that, and they're good enough to do it.

But mostly they'll want to do it as a way to clip Limerick, and I think they're good enough to do that too. The magnitude of today's scoreline, they're not in a bad place after this year's MF at all.

Galway are at nothing.

I think we would need absolutely everyone to be 100% fit, to have a shout.

On the contrary, it has been mentioned by several Leinster people this evening. Other comments are only by way of reply. The guy from Dublin was nearly angry not because of his county losing but over the Leinster-Munster thing. Strange.

But if you had read the thread you'd know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

The second placed team in Leinster were probably 10-12 points better than Tipp today, as a Tipp man that pains me but it is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

All the experts on here that are certain of a limerick victory v galway should take the free 50 percent on there money . 1 to 2 limerick . Sure what can go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

The Munster-Leinster thing is nauseating but your claim about beating counterparts "any any given day" (whatever that actually means) is not clear.

Limerick came third in Munster in 2018 and won the All Ireland. Cork came third in Munster in 2022 and reached the All Ireland final. In 2019 Dublin came third in Leinster and lost to a Joe McD team, and generally that province's third team has had very limited success.

Even today Munster's third team were poor but Leinster's second team struggled in the end to win, while Leinster's third team were destroyed. There's clear evidence (and privately we all know) that Munster is stronger in depth. Obviously the fate of the top two in the All Ireland series is a parallel argument as that doesn't measure strength in depth.

I'm sure those who are actually certain will appreciate that pearl of wisdom.

Still, there was only a point in it after 70 odd minutes. Sure didn't they hurl the socks off Kilkenny for most of the second half too but that was quickly forgotten in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cork didn't get to the 2022 All Ireland, it was 2021 with no round robin, bit rich you calling that nauseating given your bizarre obsession with St Kierans college...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Cork did what in 2022 or is there a typo I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

Using your logic, KK beat Galway who beat Tipp who beat Clare and drew Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Got to QF in 2022 and lost to Galway. Got to AI Final in 2021 v Limerick and got destroyed.

Sorry, I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

Not a typo,but an error. They reached the All Ireland final in 2021 and came third in Munster the following year, which funnily enough makes the same argument the opposite way.

Advertisement