Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

How were Limerick poorly off form?

They didnt play badly on the day. Looked to be very little between the top 4 munster in the first 3 rounds. Draws and single point games.

Tipps form has completely fallen away since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funny how you're the one who has to mention that school in the month of June yet I'm "obsessed". Just as well I don't take you seriously.

And Cork beat Kilkenny in 2021 which must've galled you big-time! Funny though.

Limerick were "poorly off-form" because the argument doesn't work otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Nobody apart from yourself takes you seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

Galway will give Limerick their toughest test yet. I'd say they've been chomping at the bit for them since last summer. Today was about getting over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I see you left Tipperary out of your analysis.

Tipp got out of Munster winning their first game and have subsequently failed to beat Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway.

I cant see how any county knocked out can say they deserve to be in the last 4.

Tipp and Dublin had their 3rd place wildcards and both deserved to be beaten today.

Can't see any arguments for Waterford, Cork or Wexford being in the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'm not even from Kilkenny 😅 your rants on that thread aren't something easily forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I have a slight fancy for Galway there. Limerick have been a great team, but a lot of those Limerick players are five years on the road now. This Limerick team is showing signs of wear and tear imo. Galway have the physicality to deal with Limerick as well. As a neutral i'm hoping for a Galway and Clare all Ireland final. I think all non Limerick and Kilkenny fans are really!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Well Cork were a puck of the ball away, from beating both Clare and Limerick and getting out of Munster. With the underage talent coming through, i'd be confident that we'll win a senior all Ireland within the next five years. Waterford and Wexford are in a bad way alright though.

Hopefully both those counties will improve in the next couple of years. Wexford in particular have a fine history and tradition, yet they've only won one all Ireland since 1968 and that was back in 1996. For a county who've produced players like the Rackards and Tony Doran, Wexford really should be doing a lot better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What do you mean "probably".

We saw exactly how much better they were and it was 2 points better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You bring up the Leinster Munster thing more than anyone though, it’s like watching children bickering and ruins the thread.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Due to the fact that currently there's really only 2 very good leinster teams just getting to the Munster final is becoming a virtual guarantee of reaching the all Ireland semi final. However finishing third in Munster leaves a team on a very difficult situation with either galway or kilkenny awaiting in the quarter finals. The sooner a third strong leinster team emerges the better for the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

Last year is history . For me limerick were lucky to beat Clare in Munster final . Also thought they were lucky enough v cork in precious game which was knockout essentially . No Hannon or Finn . I don’t think there quiet as good as they were . Im not saying they will be beaten but I do think there beatable . Time will tell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

All this Munster and Leinster stuff is nauseating . It is what it is for now anyway ! The best team will win all Ireland regardless of what province there from . If ya can’t come top 3 outta 5 you are not good enough to win it .

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Colm bonnar was out of his depth with tipp.for christ sake even after 3 months in charge of tipp he couldn’t call out some of the players by name.

we got what we deserved last nite.nothing.Galway gave us a good 2point hammering.truth be told if the matties won by 10 it was a true reflection on the game.Tipp tactically inept.how they stayed looking at Barrett was unbelievable.he wasn’t right at all.

cahill got it wrong in starting Callinan who owes us nothing but is not a starter.

tipp have come a bit of a way since last yr but have a long way to go,and truth be told we don’t have an abundance of fresh new young and fast hurlers coming trough.

Post edited by Coolcormack1979 on

Dublin really have gone backwards from that 2011-2013 period. They were close to making the breakthrough under Anthony Daly. Wexford did win a Leinster title in 2019, and only narrowly lost to a Tipp team who went on to win the all Ireland that year. Offaly hurling is finally showing signs of revival as well, so hopefully in another few years the Leinster championship will be as competitive as it's Munster equivalent.

Not at all Tipperary this year were hugely improved from last year. They made the right call in getting rid of Colm Bonnar imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ye had 3 weeks build up and prep for what for all ye knew could be a knock out game played in the finest hurling pitch in the country against us. Ye didnt beat us.

So your post is just pure rabid fantasy and utterly classless after a Tipp defeat.

Maybe take a leaf out of your manager and players book and show even a tiny bit of class after a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Hugely improved 😂😂😂😂🤣 won 1 game… drew 2 others and lost 2.. not going to bother counting Offaly game.. even if the Tipp players thought ‘‘twas an all Ireland final the way they put Offaly to the sword… but I suppose in that game Callanan got a few more goals so he got to boost his championship goal record… disappointed with Tipp this year tbh… they had an early conclusion to their year last yr… I wouldn’t blame colm bonnar.. he had no luck.. none… I thought tipp would be fresh and reinvigorated this yr… things fell off a cliff after effort against LK… very surprising tbh…

You remind me of a teenager insisting the he "doesn't fancy her at all." Nobody don't take me seriously but you still had to reply and got seven 'thanks'!

• Advertisement

I really really care where you're from or not from!! Couldn't stress that too strongly! Just own your comments or don't make them.

Wexford led Tipperary 2-18 to 1-16 with an extra man. After that (last 15) they were outscored 0-12 to 1-2. They were outclassed when it mattered in that match where they got one goal they shouldn't have and Tipperary were denied one (and arguably two) that they should have got. Wexford 2019 won two games from five in the round robin in Leinster. That team was one of the greatest triumphs of illusion in the last few decades.

And I fully intend to continue to do so when people like the Dublin guy yesterday are unable to discuss anything other than through that angle.

In what way were Limerick "lucky" to beat Clare last year?

And while you're at it, how were they luck to beat Cork.

Just interested if you are conflating luck with close games but maybe you can clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I fancied a big win for Clare yesterday. They had a couple of weeks to get over the Munster final, they were playing in Limerick which as we heard for Munster final was like a second home for them.

Dublin did well this year to beat Wexford to third in Leinster. I was surprised they drew with Galway but after the Carlow win i felt this was as good as it was going to get.

Dublin are a hard working, honest team but are a long way off the top teams. Their one marquee forward Donal Burke went off injured very early which didn't help. Still though Dublin were leading after 20 mins or so and i thought Clare were very wasteful and sloppy with poor touch and bad wides. The goals before the break put a gloss on Clares average first half performance and the match was as good as won at ht. More Clare goals and handy points in second half saw the game peter out and it was a long second half for Dublin.

Even allowing for Clare's huge score i wasn't overly impressed with them for large parts. I feel they will need to improve if they are to beat Kilkenny.

The Tipp team of last year was the worst one in years. They were a shambles. They went from that though, to being narrowly beaten in a quarter final this year. That sure is improvement to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I thought Tipp were very poor for 50 minutes. Galway could and should have been out of sight by then but somehow Tipp found themselves only a point behind after after John McGrath's late goal. Tipp fought hard late on but really Galway dominated them for large parts and only for Conor Whelan missing a hatfull of goal chances things could have got messy for Tipp. The Tipp full forward line held scoreless says it all. Bullying an out-of-their-depth Offaly is one thing. Coming up against a tough, physical Galway backline they had no answers. A lot of questions for Tipp going forward. Galway march on and i feel they've a good chance of toppling the champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭newhouse87

1 more goal he got to be leading goalscorer in history from play and hes not playing the likes of Westmeath's and Antrim's year in year out to boost his scoring tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

Lots of silly bickering here about provinces, etc. but with all said and done comfortably the 4 best teams have reached the semi's once again.

The scoreline really flattered Tipp as Cahill admitted in his post match interview. Galway closed out the spaces very well and forced Tipp into contesting high balls where they were always gonna be bet. Galway are getting used to beating them now and interestingly, Shefflin has never been on a losing side to Tipp in a championship match that he finished (the one match where he was infamously rolled out on one leg being the fly in the ointment) and now his first as a manager.

Clare were also flattered by the scoreline, and had the referee given Adam Hogan a black card in the first half when he should have, Clare probably wouldn't have had their purple patch before half time and it would have been a much closer game. Clare were always gonna have a purple patch at some point though with the space Dublin were giving them and they were very impressive when that space was given to them.

I believe both semi's really are 50/50 games. Galway weren't far away last year and will fancy their chances with Finn and Hannon out this time. Clare's systems breakdown last year against KK won't happen again so I expect it'll go down to the wire this year. Injuries to key players may well turn out be a deciding factor.

Advertisement