Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Galway "march on"? Hardly. That implies a complete dominant performance. They were up against a team which failed to beat the fourth and fifth in Munster in a game that they could hardly have lost but they were one point up after 70 minutes. Limerick will beat Galway without much fuss.

He intends to continue as well? That's good. It's a discussion which will have its own thread once the championship is out if the way. A good deep dive into comparative results between the provinces will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mf 265

Munster hurling is rubbish except limerick, we ll give them a right go and see how it goes

• Advertisement

Only problem is Munster hurling is an abstraction. You won't be playing against Munster hurling so any solace over its state is illusory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Maybe they will. I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've never backed against Limerick over the last five or so years. Even the day they lost to Kilkenny in 2019 i backed them. I couldn't see them being beaten in that time. For the first time now i think they are there for the taking and i am backing Galway to dethrone the champions. Could be totally wrong of course. As always time will tell.

I thought you found the subject nauseating???? Absolute spoofer🙄

I do find the subject nauseating. In the middle of the championship debating the relative merits of Waterford/Cork/Tipperary and Westmeath/Antrim/Dublin? What is even the point?

It's the reaction by people who hate the matter being discussed because it might not reflect well on their county that gives me oxygen. The actual discussion itself pains me though.

By the way, is "absolute spoofer" a bit of name-calling or just you signing off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think Galway will need to find their best performance of the year to have any chance v Limerick. No display they have given so far this year will give them a hope.

Where Eoghan Connolly got two balls in midfield with loads of time and space and didnt know what to do with it, that will be Barry Nash next day and he will know exactly what to do with it.

• Advertisement

You’re constantly contradicting yourself….you’re a spoofer alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think it will be their best performance. Last year was a similar story.

Ide love Limerick to batter them and have everyone afraid of us like back in 21 but nothing points to that happening.

It’s so hard to know with Galway, they’re capable of big things but so often let you down just when you’re expecting something big from them.

They have all the ingredients but seem to lack belief on the biggest days and because of this they struggle to get over the line even in games they’re dominating.

I also think Ger Mac look’s finished at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ya, I think they probably will too and it will be a close game. Galway seem to match up very well to Limerick, probably because of the physicality they can bring with the size of their players. How they deal with Gillane and Flanagan will have a massive bearing on the game, to state the obvious I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Getting over the line" is the only thing that gives me confidence from a Limerick point of view this year.

They definitely know how to get over the line even when not playing great.

Agreed….that’s the difference I suppose, the great teams find a way to win when not playing their best stuff. A few examples of that from Limerick this year already.

I do think any team would feel the loss of Finn and Hannon though, Finn is probably the best corner back I’ve ever seen and Hannon is just pure class, massive composure under pressure , always makes the right decision on the ball and seems to come up with a big play when his team needs it most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hannon hasn't played well so far in the Championship. Even though he's a great player and fantastic leader he won't be a big loss against Galway due to his current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I also think Ger Mac look’s finished at this level.

He's finished with about 5 years now at that level. Limerick annihilated him in 2018.

D. Burke will go down as one of the greatest of all time however.

No coincidence that when Hannon hasn’t been at his best Limerick don’t look as invincible so maybe he’ll be missed more than you think.

I just think with Finn and Hannon Limerick are a very different prospect than without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Very true ,who wouldn't miss those 2 but on the flip side if Lynch is back to near his best and Hegarty is on his A game will soften the blow

• Advertisement

@FintanMcluskey Yes Burke is a savage bit of stuff, turning in to a very good centre back but still not sure it’s his best position from a Galway point of view .

L.Cahill being referred to as an excellent manager on The Sunday Game.

Can't figure out how how he escapes critism.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CaptainOReilly

Which semi-final do you think would be the most evenly matched/exciting to go and see?

Want to go see one but worried Limerick might just pummel Galway? Are Clare too strong for Kilkenny? Which game would get the biggest attendance do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bigger attendance would be limerick-galway I'd imagine. Closest game...I'd have to say Clare-KK

I was absolutely convinced Clare would hockey Kilkenny last year. Dead cert I thought. They got annihilated by Kilkenny.

I put no weight in Clares performance yesterday, those turkey shoots are no indication of form or ability playing the big teams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Plus a Dublin side not known for goals - got two against Clare and had numerous other chances. The porous Dublin defensive shambles took the spotlight off how weak Clare were defensively IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah coukd easily happen. I wrote Clare off after getting pummelled by Tipp, tis a funny game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

Really scratching my head with all this 'Galway physicality'! Corner-backs Morrissey, Grealish, midfielders/forwards Glennon, Monaghan, Concannon, Niland, K Cooney - none of these are the strongest or biggest physical men. All reasonably good hurlers in their own right it must be said.

Lot of criticism about Galway yesterday and why they didn't beat Tipp' by more. Very few pointing out though that it was Galway's game plan and tactic to sit deep and prevent a Tipp' team from scoring their usual quota of goals that they have been doing for much of this championship. If that sacrificed more accurate and joined-up play into the forwards, so be it. They (Shefflin) took a chance on making the percentages pay, and they did on the evening.

Every match is a unit in itself, bearing very little correlation to what went before. Punters calling Galway woeful ignore the fact that they've only lost one game by a point, in a very freaky finish. One thing Shefflin has done with Galway is that he has quietly developed quite a strong panel, with sufficient resources to come off the bench and make an impact. They're not lacking in character or resilience either, intangibles qualities not referenced here as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭supernova5

pummelled? are you for real? it was a 5 point margin at the end after Clare gift wrapping them 3 goals and 2 points

Advertisement