Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do they bring the fibre line into the house?

Options
  • 26-03-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm currently on a part fibre Vodafone connection that gives me near enough 100mb, I'm out of contract now. The connection for this comes in through the Telefone socket at front of the house.

I had a look online and I'm eligible for 1gb fibre broadband with Vodafone, sky, eir, digiweb and pure telecom.

Does anyone know if I were to change does the line come in through the same place or where do they usually bring the line into the house?

Also, is there a supplier or connection that's considered superior to the others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

The installer on the day can discuss this with you but it will be a matter of how they can get it from the esb box to the location of your choosing, the telephone socket doesn’t come into the equation anymore. For me they suggested brining it along the front of the house to bring it in to the hallway but I opted instead to have them bring it inside through the side wall and then tacked to the skirting board to bring it to the other side of the room and then through that wall to the hallway. Best to pick a central location so the Wi-Fi stretches to all corners of the house.

They will also recommend installing it somewhere with a double socket as the siro unit needs power along with your router. I only have a single socket on mine with an extension lead and never had any speed issues but it can interfere supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

The general guidlines can be found here - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

An engineer will visit your property before installation to plan the installation - it's a short 30 mintue type inspection from experience. If there's existing phone lines in place (copper) they'll follow the same route most likely - if not, then the engineer will plan a convient route from the road to your house, which will terminate either at the (ETU External Termination Unit) if you have one, otherwise they will bring it into your house, but insist they it terminates at an external wall - i.e. they won't do additional cabling inside your house to bring it to a more central location.

They do also need a power connection for the new fibre box if you have it - so you'll need to choose somewhere that has access to a electricity socket as the new fibre box they installed on the wall inside your house needs electricity. They wouldn't bring the fibre termination point more centrally for us - saying that it had to terminate on the external wall - I think it's due to the fibre cabling itself being less flexible that older cabling. What you can do though is get a long ethernet cable, and route it from the fibre termination box, to where you want the router to be if you do want a more centrally located router.

Advertisement