Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil leak query

• 26-03-2023 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All, looking for some advice on oil leak query

I bought a used 07 petrol Passat and own it for 9 months

I recently had it serviced and the report adviced oil leakage and cracked suspension

I am more focused on the oil and also think I see residues on the exhaust and lot of smoke when stopping at signals.

The service guy quoted €75/hr for investigating the leak and said it could take anything from 1 hour to 3 days so cant say total cost.

Is this a normal price? Or does anyone have recommendations for a lower price to find and fix?

I have an nct coming up so want to try and address this

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

At €75 per hour, I would just clean the leaking area myself before the NCT and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 17 r.rohit.026

@User1998 Thanks. I know, that is steep .

I dont know where the leak is so not sure about cleaning

I am also worried it might damage something further so I would want to fix it eventually, but would search around for a cheaper quoting garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

€75 up to 3 days to find course! , I just don't think he wants the job, I would go with what user1998 said, clean it up take for nct then see what your up against if it fails.

@SCOOP 64 Thanks. I agree it sounds cheaper and easier for the nct. Also thinking about fixing it later to avoid any engine issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Is it engine oil that’s leaking? If so you could just keep an eye on the oil level. With it being an 07 its probably not worth pumping too much money into. Others may disagree.

• Advertisement

@User1998 . I'll keep an eye and monitor. From symptoms i read and the way it leaves oil stains in exhaust pipes it seems blown gasket(based on what i read) but i could be wrong. I'm not buying another vehicle soon and no issues currently but just worried about further damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How bad is the leak? Does it leave a stain on the driveway? If not you should be fine putting it through the NCT but if you have a jack and axel stands then try clean it up and see how bad the leak is for yourself. If you live in a housing estate with a foot path try driving two wheels up the kerb and two on the road and you should be able to crawl under and clean it that way. That is if you do not have the tools to lift the car up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wouldn't be overly happy driving around with cracked suspension either.

@wotzgoingon . Thanks. I live in apartment block so dont have that option. I dont see it that bad, i usually keep an eye and have never seen a trail. I also kept some paper overnight when parked and didnt find it too smudged, will be trying it again.

@Henry Ford III Thanks. I agree and will get that fixed eventually. Managing my financials so I want to fix critical bits first and thought oil leak could be dangerous.

Any advice for mechanics who would not have too expensive quotes?

Advertisement