Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building up again

• 26-03-2023 7:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Following injury, and a family bereavement, I've not run since Feb 26. I'm looking to start again, not really what to do. Plenty of easy miles, of course and some speed work, I guess. Anything else? I was training for the ultra in Connemara and got up to 20 miles for long runs. I've deferred the race to 2024.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Condolences on your bereavement.

After a break I would simply run nothing but easy miles for a couple of weeks, maybe three, but at the volume and consistency as I'd left off.

Adding in sessions then after that.

Your fitness will return quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Same as above really. Run easy only until you're back at the weekly mileage you want to hit. Then, introduce one light session per week targeting tempo pace (tempo intervals are ideal for this e.g. 5x5 mins tempo off 1 min recovery). Add 6-10 strides to a couple of the easy runs and keep building the mileage gradually. I wouldn't be bothering with speedwork at all unless you're targeting shorter distances.

Advertisement