Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth paying to do checks prior to NCT?

• 26-03-2023 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tmh106

Hi everyone.

I did a search as best I could in this forum for prior posts relating to my question, but couldn't find any.

My ten year old car (petrol VW Pasast) is going for a NCT in a few weeks. I asked the mechanic who does the annual service on the car if I should bring it to him for a pre-NCT maintenance, but he said not to bother, instead I should just do the NCT and if it fails on anything he will fix it prior to the re-test.

Just wondering if that is the advice people on Boards would also give? Obviously I will do things like making sure oil is at correct level, wheels pumped to right pressure, myself (I do those anyway, irrespective of NCT)? But is there anything else I should do in advance of the NCT? I was wondering of any of the places that advertise free pre-NCT checks (e.g. Advance Pitstop) are worth going to or will they always find something that needs to be done (i.e. is it free because it is just a way of drumming up business?)

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd take the advice of the mechanic that knows the car. Overall a retest will cost less than he can charge to do a full prior inspection.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

He's right, If you don't think there is anything wrong with your car why would you pay someone to do some checks before you then pay for the NCT to carry out their checks? I don't know the going rate but I bet the cost of the NCT pre-checks are more than the cost of repeating the NCT.

Also, do those places have all the equipment they use in the NCT center to even be able to check everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've never paid to have a car checked out before the NCT, if they find something I'll get it fixed.

Look at it this way, for the €28 cost of the retest you're told what to fix, rather than a mechanic highlighting every little issue.

I know people who have, and have gotten things fixed beforehand only for the car to fail anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Seen and heard many examples of garages finding issues, potential NCT fail etc costing 100s and 1000s to fix but passed the NCT on the day. NCT will flag anything outside safety limits to be redone. Your mechanic sounds like a genuine top lad or lady and would trust his advice.

Do the basis, check the tires, lights, belts if your wheel is hanging off, your brakes are noisey yet all means get them sorted. Otherwise light a candle, say a prayer and send the passes into the NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Always good to present the car clean and tidy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks everyone for the advice offered, I appreciate it. I will go with the advice from my mechanic and from here, have the car in presentable order on the day and hope for the best. Wish me luck ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

No harm adding redex or a similar product to the fuel tank a week or two before the test. It’ll help keep the emissions down.

Make sure the car has been driven for about 20 minutes or so before you get to the centre so the engine will be up to temperature for the test too.

Best of luck 👍

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I wouldnt bother.My car failed today on worn ball joint(fair enough) and broken bumper reflector,wich is broken for 6 years and was never an issue for NCT 😂.

At least I know now what to fix with my annual service.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

when the NCT testers see a car say over ten years old in perfect condition and can find nothing wrong with it the old reliable is finding fault with “rusted” brake lines/hose so don’t say you weren’t warned!

Get a mechanic to clean these brake lines before a test if you want save yourself a retest.

This is a scam as the NCT manual (section 1.11.11) states “slight surface corrosion should not be considered a reason for failure“. Motorists are being failed left right and center for what is nothing more than slight surface “corrosion”.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my brake lines other than a bit of dirt which a tester called “rust”. I won’t repeat here what a mechanic I went to said about this “reason” to fail motorists.

To repeat myself, don’t say you weren’t warned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Make sure your tires are legal, all your bulbs are working, and the inspector can see the seat belts and lift the boot cover.

That'll cover you for the most likely failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

one of the annoyances ive had in the past is light alignment.. if its out they cant do a visual retest.. i would have been of the opinion of test and fix / retest.. but depends on how much time you have.. last few years ive serviced the car just before the nct.. and done the pre nct checks even though that pisses me off no end to have to pay for them.. as a service in my mind should leave a car road worthy but there you have it.. last year had a bulge on a tyre the pre nct didnt pick up but stuck on two new front tyres and they did visual retest same day and was away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The NCT crowd wouldn't give me the passed certificate until I turned one of the wheel nuts around. The lad who fixed my puncture put a nut on back to front.

Advertisement