Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v France Euro Qualifiers 27/03/23 Ko 19.45

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We're capable of getting a draw tonight imo. Obviously we need to be much better at the back than against Latvia and we need every player switched on 100% but we are capable. I'm sick of reading nonsense saying anything less than a 3-0 defeat is deemed as 'success'. It isn't. We're playing at home in front of a full house, these are the type of matches the players dream of playing in and what Kenny has been building to for the last 2 and a half years.

If we lose I won't be holding it against Kenny, France are a brilliant team. However we can get a result and I hope Kenny has reiterated this to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I do not share your optimism.

I also hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Anyone have a spare ticket for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Squad announced for tonight, no O'Dowda or Brady so between McClean and Doherty for LWB. Interesting to see Idah getting the no.10 shirt while Parrott is dropped as well. The talk of Ferguson not starting seems to be growing since Kerr mentioned it last night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't think Ferguson will start myself. I suspect he may go one up top with Obafemi, he has the pace to get behind and also put pressure on their defence from the front. I don't think the game will suit Ferguson, but he may get on in the 2nd half depending how things go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Hopefully we perform well tonight but I'm thinking it'll be a 3-1 or 4-1 victory to the French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Anything is possible on the night. That's why we watch sport. But no, we are not level par with France which is what a draw would suggest. The much more likely outcome is a defeat.

That doesn't mean there's no accountability or that you can't review performance/dicision etc but it's keeping it within context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

France will beat us comfortably, and that's nothing to be ashamed of, as long as the lads show up and go down fighting. Which I suspect they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would be genuinely surprised if Ferguson doesn’t start tonight. He’s by far and away out most in form striker, if we get a chance in the box he’d be the man you’d want to be there taking it.

Would love to get a result tonight, head says 1-3 but hope I’m wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Dan McDonnell saying Ogbene might likely start tonight and can't see him not starting Ferguson if Ogbene is the other striker. If Parrott isn't injured and is seen as being behind the others then he should be considered for U21s selection going forward.

Heart is saying a 1-1 draw, but the head says 3-1 France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah this is a real heart vs head game.

Every starter for France against the Dutch has played in the champions league this season. They are just off losing a World Cup final on penalties and beat a Dutch team that are better than us 4 nil, while we let in 2 goals against Latvia.

But the heart believes and I think a noisy crowd tonight could be a big boost. They need to be defensively excellent though, this is a French team with loads of goals in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Of course we're not level with France, only a mad man would suggest that. However we absolutely are capable of getting a result and being hammered tonight would not be acceptable in my opinion. At the very least we should be aiming for a good performance where we are not easily beaten.

This is not 'free hit'. It's a qualifier and the performance absolutely matters.

However unlikely it is to happen, we are capable of getting a draw. We'll need to score though as we won't be keeping a clean sheet against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A hammering tonight is not acceptable.

I at least expect good organisation and a game plan.

Magic moment or two from France I can accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really do hope some of the optimism on here is realised, but my head can't see it. Think the game might be gone by half time.

But I do hope I am so wrong. I have form!

Also, can't see Ferguson not starting. I know SK may have tactical or organisational reasons for it, but he'll be slated by fans and media if he isn't on, and we'll hear "what was he thinking", and blaming the defeat on his absence.

IMO your first two sentences contradict each other. If we're not level with them, how are we capable of getting a result?

I mean anythings possible as I said. But our faith is in the French's hand. If our lads bring their best and so do the French, we lose.

We need the French to under perform to get anything tonight. No shame in recognising/admitting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hoping tonight will be 'one of those nights' where we show up against a big team and get a result.

I suspect we'll put it up to them and after that, we'll need luck, a lot of luck to fall our way to come out with at least a point.

Mbappe terrifies me against our defence but stranger things have happened. Maybe he'll be quiet or have an off night, slight tweak of the hammy where he comes off early as a precaution but is fine next week.

Going to the game with a bit of belief and can't wait - COYBIG.

How is a contradiction? Lesser teams get results all the time.

I'm not saying we should get the draw, I'm saying we are capable of it.

We're only capable of it if France under perform, so capability is a bit of loose term IMHO.

All things being equal we'll be doing well to avoid a hiding. That's a fact as far as im concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Only way we'll get a result is if we massively over perform and France massively under perform. If both teams perform as standard we're in for a comprehensive defeat.

Hopefully the former comes true tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It's 11 pro soccer players v another 11.

As we learned in the Trap and O'Neill eras we can defend and that's half the battle won.

Let's put em under pressure and see what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That midfield and front line is strong.

However, if we can get the ball, I’d fancy our front five to have a cut of that French defence. Every single one of them has a howler in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Unless he’s injured, he was hobbling a bit against Latvia I think, Ferguson must start. He’s possibly the best player we’ve had in about 20 years. The French didn’t leave Mbappe sitting on the bench when he was 18. If he’s fully fit put him on from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Coleman at rb on Mbappe will need support

Molumby has a massive role to play tonight. He needs to be covering the space usually occupied by Coleman if he goes further forward and (at least try) to nullify the threat of Mbappe on any potential counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Realistically a 2 or 3 nil defeat I'd consider a reasonable result.

I do think we are well overdue a total hiding though. Hopefully not tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

France deserve massive respect but I don't think away from home they are to be feared given their record. With a decent coach in charge, I'd fancy us for some sort of result. With the current regime, who knows. I'll be optimistic and say we'll get a draw. Will need a huge slice of luck and a Bazunu performance similar to the Serbia game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Stephen Kelly co-commentator tonight 😪😪.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Without stirring, could Kenny be under pressure if we suffer a record home defeat for a qualifier?

I genuinely think Mbappe could score more goals in the group than Ireland collectively, even with the potential of Ferguson emerging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I just hope we don't concede early. Stay in it and keep the crowd noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

It’s 15 minutes to kick off before the FIRST game in a qualifying campaign. We have just unearthed a striker who’s probably the best teenage player in the best league in the world.

Lets just park the record defeat talk until at least half time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Joanne Cantwell is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Those Aviva DJ's bloody love a bit of Free'd From Desire it seems... it's one thing you can guarantee hearing, regardless of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

surprised theres not 4 women presenting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Stop milking it Higgins. Theres a match to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Don't like having a singer leading the anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Very much on board with that version of the anthem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fcuk me........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tell ya what though, it's really lovely to look at the bench and see actual properly decent options to change the game in different ways... Smallbone, Obafemi, Idah and Johnston all offer different ways of getting at a team depending on what it looks like we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,825 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Can see a mistake from Doherty or Collins costing us here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Hoping I am wrong but France to win 3 or 4 nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think we just about won the song contest,

Hopefully we can magic up something from the match somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Reminds me of the rugby down under. But most of them actually know the words of their anthems so it works better.

some of our players will have to learn the anthem minimum requirement when your putting on that jersey

the most optimistic man in the world god love him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Doherty is ropey enough on the right putting him left is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Cullen Got away with one there

• Advertisement
Advertisement