Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solutions for Piriformis Syndrome

• 27-03-2023 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have been suffering with this badly for the past year in my left butt cheek. Never had issues with the right one.

I have been using the foam roller and doing one legged squats to build up strength.

Really suffering today after a 10k run yesterday..

Anyone have any success stories to get this sorted ? tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Not specific advice but yoga, pigeon pose in particular focuses on that area.

For potential underlying issues look at your running form. Are you sitting in the bucket?

Are you using your glutes as you should?

Edit: Also, hot yoga good for a lot of deeper all round stretching. You may release something that helps

Post edited by demfad on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I had terrible issues with piriformis, was wrongly diagnosed and ended up eating tablet that didn’t cure the pain.

It is so uncomfortable and prevents you from even walking so I can empathise with you!

Eventually got sorted via youtube. I can’t find the exact video but there are several great examples out there. There’s a few specific exercises, one is sitting on a chair with you sore leg almost folded across the other leg at the knee. Another involves almost the same position while lying flat on the ground and leg supported against a wall. That’s probably poorly explained but if you try some of the videos you should find one that works and really helped me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

When it comes to the glutes and that whole area I find a spiky ball is much better at giving relief than a foam roller. If you don't have one I would definitely encourage getting one or some like a sliotar works too.

Put it between the ground and your glutes and start rolling you will be guaranteed to find spots that need releasing. One position in particular I found very useful for the piriformis was lying on my back on the floor, one leg straight out resting on the floor and bend one knee up to the chest. Place the spiky ball between the ground and glutes on the side with the bent knee and let the knee fall to the side still bent. Move the ball around in different areas in the glutes and pivot as necessary. I would be surprised if you don't find some tight areas here.

Also important when doing this, if you do find an area that is particularly tight don't just go with a load of force to release it straight away. Ease the into it and get to a uncomfortable but manageable amount of pressure, stay there for about 30 seconds. Release and repeat with a bit more pressure the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I had this very badly about ten years ago. Went to a chiropractor and he showed me some great stretches which fixed the problem. Took about three weeks to stretch out the glute muscles and be pain free. I went to a guy in Wicklow town. His name was David Connor.

The first stretch here is one of the ones he showed me:

And here's a few more:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Yermander

Struggled for years with piriformis, until it was properly diagnosed. Did some Pilates to strengthen glutes and now stay on top of it by doing some glutes work like clams and resistance bands. Stretching and rolling helps when it comes on but it doesn’t keep it away. I rarely suffer from it these days once I do a bit every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

thank you all for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Never heard of the pigeon pose but youtubed it and it feels like a great stretch so will keep on that.

I also started a reformer pilates class.

demfad, I havent considered my running form before. I will look at a few videos on youtube for guidance tnx.

Post edited by Craig_David on

Meant to add what I did to change re running form:

Do a couple of glute activation exercises (google) before running when youve time. Only takes a minute. Lunges also good.

When you encounter a hill and hills concentrate and standing tall, hips forward and feel your glutes do the work climbing. You tend to keep the good form between hills.

For important runs or longer runs I would actually strategically plan a hill early in the run to get the glutes firing for the whole run.

For sessions maybe also do a few drills (A skips, B skips, ankling, fast feet etc). Loads of videos on instagram/youtube etc if on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I fail to understand the logic of doing glute activation exercise before going for a run. While I do understand that it's common enough Q and suggested activity to do, and it's often prescribed be coaches etc. I would however understand some form of a warm up, but that's a different thing completely

The reality is your glute should be active each and ever step to take, from the time you get out of bed, if it's not then just doing a pre run activation isn't going to have much of an impact apart from fatiguing the muscle. I'd also add that from an anatomical point of view running up hill with your hip's in forward position does allow for the full activation of the muscle as it will be operating from a shortened position. You will however feels your gluts more as they will already be after extending the hip's, as such they will feel contracted.

I am speaking from personal experience. Doing a (lying down) test with my physio for glute activation, I fell over when trying to use my left glute.

After some activation I tried the exercise again and was able to perform it which meant the glutes were activated and now working during the exercise.

I repeated the exercises and the test before every run (almost) Soon, I noticed that any time of day, doing the test, the glute was now active. So her method worked for activating the glutes during exercises (and running) and 'each and every step' I took during the day. That's an economical use of time for a runner.

Anyway, I further noticed that the glutes can be activated most running up hill with hips more forward (as you said). I also noticed (particularly on steady runs for me) that after these hills and between hills that I kept that better form. This was important to me as I kept having recurring tightness in my legs, particularly my calves which receded greatly with the change.

This is different to what the OP is experiencing but fixing that (very common) issue if it's present can help and can't do harm.

Regarding fatiguing the glute with activation exercises, it wasn't relevant to me as the glute wasn't firing to be fatigued anyway. I also think as a big muscle with great endurance characteristics, the glutes can take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kal7

if you can't do pigeon on floor, like me hips too tight to fully get into it, try it sitting on a say a weights bench.

you can get a very good stretch that way.

If piriformis tight, and doesn't respond to stretch or foam rolling, can be poor mobility in sacroiliac joint or as said above a lower back issue.

good luck with it, and don't run too fast or too long on irritated muscle for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Make sure you stretch out your quads as well. If they get too tight, then it creates a lot more work for the glutes.

Long term, pilates is awesome. I haven't encountered issues since I started practicing regularly seven years ago.

Advertisement