Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Job Help - Not a Student

• 27-03-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have been teaching almost 10 years at primary level. I have a B.Ed in primary school, Masters in education with a focus on adult learners and how they transfer from undergraduate education to the workplace setting, and a Postgrad in Business (Leadership). I work with companies who design and provide CPD courses to teachers, and have spearheaded numerous initiatives in my school which involved management of the process across the entire school community - parents, teachers, and students. I also volunteer with charities that provide support to children in a number of areas, and have teams that I manage and coordinate.

I am looking to move into the private sector so I can get a mortgage. After 10 years I am barely clearing 55k gross, while relatives with half my experience and making at least 10k more than me, many 15k-20k more and get to travel with their job! Yes, they don't get the "holidays", but I dread those anyway because I like the routine of work, gym, home etc. I don't manage time off well. I would love to move into aircraft leasing, or ideally IT or something like that, but cannot afford to retrain. Therefore, I am thinking something in Learning and Development (even HR), as it links in with what I have already done.

I would love to use this summer to get experience in the private sector, as my CV is so heavily primary education focussed. If anyone here can help me please reach out! I don't want to apply to jobs on indeed, as they are clearly looking for someone who can do more than two months! Open to any sector, just need experience!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is your target salary, to apply for a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

I guess ideally 65/70k. that would but me in the 260,000 - 280,000 range, which would get me a semi-decent house these days. My current salary would have worked when I first qualified, but 22 year old me was not thinking of house purchasing at that time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There are some threads on this over in the teacher area.Lots have left teaching for many reasons (myself included). You should probably visit a career coaching type person, they might be able to steer you in the right direction. They can tell you how to tailor your CV and make the skills you learned in teaching work to your advantage. I found standing up in front of teenagers every day made me unafraid of public speaking, and had no issue with interviews! I meet so many ex teachers in random jobs. Just met the CEO of a charity yesterday who worked for 10 years as a teacher. And then I meet so many teachers who want out but feel they're only qualified to teach.

The thread title isn't going to help you get responses. It's a career change you want really, not a summer job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

These days going for an IT position is a bit like going for something in art or design - we expect you to have portfolio. So if you really are interested in IT, then start working on your portfolio. Write some apps and put them up on GitHub, build some kind of network or system setup, document it and publish your experience on Github and so on, work on some open source projects and so on. That is one of the best ways you'll be able to convince a potential employer that you are worth taking an interest in you.

Advertisement