Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering renting for 6-8 months while working abroad, Ukrainian refugees easiest option?

Options
  • 27-03-2023 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Assuming my property meets the requirements to rent to a refugee, is renting to a Ukrainian refugee an easier option than putting my place on the rental market for a short term let?

I'd be looking to do it for 6-8 months, possibly longer (will decide while I'm away).

I'm aware I could get more money if renting privately, but there's probably more hassle involved in getting the place back (i.e. don't leases need to be min 12 months)? AirBnB would require I'm here to meet the guest etc, so that's not an option either.

Do I need to pay for the electricity/gas usage for the refugee, or is it simply €800 tax free cash and all their bills are handled by the govt?

Literally only read one page on it so far, so this is my first port of call for information before I start delving into it later :)

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dont know how it works out with refugees if they dont want to leave, but if your rent it normally id say you might be going through the rtb and then the courts for a few years before you get it back. Even the government are advising people to overhold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

You are advised by the government to make your arrangements with the refugees regarding bills etc. This indicates to me that the Gov don't want to be part of the contract. Why?

• Be careful as the gov have a tendency to change the law as suits them and this makes contracts worthless when it comes to accomadation
    • What will happen if they refuse to leave and become homeless when you get back, have a plan.

An option may be to rent out all rooms except 1 and fly back every now and again to stay in the house and maintain it as your PPR. You would probably only have to come back once in the six months but check the rules with revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Not discriminatory at all to only want to rent the property to people of a certain nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭rje66

Another option could be renting to a family who is having building work done on their own house, and need a place short term...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Advertisement

An option may be to rent out all rooms except 1 and fly back every now and again to stay in the house and maintain it as your PPR. You would probably only have to come back once in the six months but check the rules with revenue.

That was actually going to be another question... Ideally I'd want to keep one of the two bedrooms for myself (kept locked) and store my stuff in there that I wouldn't want the tenant to access.

I'd assume a standard renter would want access to all rooms in the house, but perhaps the ARP tenants are fine to not need every room?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Irish people are the last nationality a landlord wants to rent to, as I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Best to take the advice to maintain it as your PPR. Overstaying is a huge issue.

Also, be prepared that whoever you rent to may well have no other option but homelessness or emigration after they must leave

Mature foreign students here for a term, so no issues with leaving, payment or antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

After 6 months a tenant gets tenure for life , if they reintroduce an eviction ban you will be homeless when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 agent_88

You could rent out rooms instead. Up to 14k a year tax free, no leases or registering with the PRTB. It does have to be your primary residence though....if you are coming back alot maybe this would be an option.

• Advertisement

Probably because there is more chance of any other nationality actually leaving the place and the landlord getting it back.

Its amazing that we have gone from nobody wanting students neare their properties if they can help it, to only wanting students because they will give the place back to you. It may be in bits, but at least you will have it back :)

People have cottoned on to the fact that they can tell you thats all grand about you keeping the room, all the while keeping your texts and emails and taking a record of when you are or arent in the house. They will then, when the time comes, go to the RTB with all of this and say they are tenants and that you are lying. They will be helped to do this by charities and the RTB will be on their side. If you are not in it more than you are out of it then they are a tenant and you are out.

4 years and counting to get tenants out in a couple of cases I know of. Its usually 2 to 3 years. Shorter if you get someone who actually wants to leave. Leo Vradkar has just announced that its ok for people not to move out if they dont feel like it when their landlord wants their house back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Youre better off doing nothing with it for 6-8 months to be honest. The risks far out weight the rewards.

If it were me thats what I would do. If you need to move back into the house and cant risk a protracted legal battle to get back in, all the while paying the mortgage and possibly getting no rent, then its your only option. Any other option is rolling the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you say so. But you cant keep your head in the sand for much longer all or you will suffocate.

Scaremongering is not going to solve this issue either

Its not scaremongering though is it. Its the reality of the situation. Why again is there a shortage of rental properties?

I know, i know. You are going to tell me now that landlords are not getting out and there are loads of rentals around at all and that anyone can have their property back whenever they want. Maybe if you keep saying it it will come true for you.

But we weren’t talking about landlords were we? We were talking about letting out a room in your own home- something completely different- but scaremonger all you like if it makes you happy.

couldn’t be me

if this is your only house to live in upon your return I wouldn’t dream of renting it out. There’s just too much hassle if the tenants won’t budge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Xander10

The 6 month refugee option is the only one I'd consider. For reference, I know someone who done it and it took about 6 mths for the paperwork to be put in place to start the process, so you might want to bear that in mind

I cant believe you dont know by now that when they go to the RTB and say that he was away more than he was in the locked room they will win. And even on the remote chance that they dont win, Leo has told them last week that they can stay as long as they like.

If he intends to take his house back to live in when he comes home he should know what the chances of that not working out are before he puts himself in that situation.

this might actually be the best option.. allows me to keep a room to myself too for storage

I can make sure I'm back in Ireland every 5 months or so to be well within the 6 month limit

Also it means I have a place to stay when I come back and not have to rely on parents house 😁

They’re not scaremongering. The OP should not rent their house to anyone until they’ve understood it from every angle, that includes the potential for the tenants to overhold, open disputes with the RTB (whether they win or not is irrelevant it all causes delays in evicting).

If they don’t want to return home to no home to live in they’d be well advised to consider all of this. Calling it BS is unhelpful at best and dangerous misinformation at worst.

Do rent a room tenants have less ability to overhold/dispute etc?

Easier to evict rent a room tenants if issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Talk to an accountant. Revenue and the RTB have different definitions of PPR so no make sure that you meet both criteria before renting a room.

Then you have your mortgage and insurance to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wanderingmind

The easiest and least stressful thing to do is leave it empty.

What happens if you are away and your "lodger" moves in a partner or sublets?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

Unfortunately this is the best advise and you can see it's been repeated a few times. The situation is totally crazy but it's got to where to it is by consistent and total mismanagement of the rental market, to the point that people would rather have a vacant room/premises rather than risking all the hassle.

Don't forget you'll also get all the abuse for being a Big Bad Greedy Landlord too, based on absolutely nothing at all.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I know an auctioneer who owns a property and it's sitting empty. It was only built around 05/06 and they have been approached a few times about renting but won't so what does that tell you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement