Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf dehorning crate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I've condon delux. Serious job for strong LM suckler calves. Neighbor bought one after he saw mine. Only annoying thing is the rope for the head, I've tried few different ways & straps but still cant get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

What are they like in young calves? I do mine from 3 days old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Be too small I think. I've a small twin heifer be around 45-50kgs now but she was lost inside it. Luckily she hadn't any (yet) but her twice as big bull twin had. Mine get done at 3ish weeks old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭148multi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

+1 on the condon deluxe

One man job plus belly support is a great addition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks. Usually do calves around 2 weeks so wonder would the deluxe be too small. Can't see the IAE stocked in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have been using this dehorning paste for the last few years and find it very good, no hassle for man or beast.

Do calves at about a week old & keep them away from the cow for about half an hour and you are flying.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NRFnKZ7814ForZ7U6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What are the disadvantages of using that? The likes of Teagasc say that that method is not recommended but doesn't say why. Possible injury to the animal or ineffectiveness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I found the first year I used it, I had a few with a horn on 1 side (nearly all on the left), I put it down to me not getting the paste right on that side of the head as it was away from me. So I take a bit more time and do it slowly to ensure I have it correctly on the horn bud. You have to do it on calves when they are young less than 2 weeks, if they are any older it wouldn't work. (I do still need the de-horner for any bucked fed calves I buy with horns using the gas burner).

The only injuries I can see happening with animals is putting the paste on where there is no horn and burning the calf or letting the calf back to the cow to quickly & her licking it off and burning herself or him rubbing his head on her elder with paste on it and burning her elder, but these things can all be prevented once you take your time and do it right.

I know it can be hard to feel the bud on a LM calf at two weeks but cut the hair tight you will find a little bit. It is far easier to restrain a LM calf at under 2 weeks than it is when they they get older. I also think forcing a calf into a cage to de-horn at 3 weeks can make them nervous, whereas with the paste there is a more gentle handling of the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

I use the paste as well, this is where the deluxe crate is a great job

Calf is fully restrained& supported(belly paddle)

Trim the hair right down with a mini trimmers, dab on paste

I leave the calf in the crate for min 30mins whilst doing other jobs, no fear of cow licking it or calf rubbing head off something reducing paste effectiveness

One point on the deluxe crate is the rope to tie the nose in place is not a great design, there was a post on a similar thread of someone using a safety belt strap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭148multi

O'Donavans are agents for aie, there's one in the north too

Advertisement