Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do I do here?

• 27-03-2023 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭

Say I have a company called carlowlimos.ie and someone sets up carlowlimos.com and advertises the same business in the same area.

I have my company name registered and own the website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is he actually running a limo hire business and taking customers from you? Assuming your business is well-established and has brand recognition, you can bring a passing-off action against him, seeking damages for loss of trade and/or an injunction to restrain him from carrying on business under a name confusing similar to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SPC1759

Company name registration doesn’t help much. But trade mark registration could help a lot. A TM registration can be enforced in parallel with passing-off and is much easier to enforce.

The first to file generally gets the rights, so you should at least apply for TM registration before approaching the competitor. Worst case scenario is that you alert them and they register the TM before you do. If that happens, you could be stopped yourself unless you have a strong prior reputation, which would be messy and expensive to prove.

A descriptive name like, say, Carlow Limos could be difficult to register but proof of your reputation could help to get it through.

The registration process would take a few months but you don’t have to wait for it to be completed before taking action against the competitor, as the registration will eventually back-date to the application date.

Professional input from a trade mark agent/attorney would be a good investment at the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They arent running a limo business, what they did was set up the website and list other limo businesses on the website. who knows why they did this, possibly to make money for themselves by taking money from the businesses listed on the website.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Is this the guy you were going to report for not having insurance?

• Advertisement

You have learnt a lesson about brand protection in domain names. You should have registered the .com too... Now someone else does. Oh well.

Im not that worried about that, my business is well established and they wont get away with trying to operate that business in the same area I operate in.

Advertisement