Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey dust which smells like mould

Options
  • 27-03-2023 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Does anyone know what is causing grey dust which smells like mould all over the apt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

Does it only appear on one type of material; wood or cloth?

I had grey and sometimes blue dust on wooden doors but after buying humidity monitors for various rooms and running two desiccant dehumidifiers the humidity is down and the dust on the doors has gone. I try to keep humidity below 65%. It's okay if it goes above 65% during the night so long as you dehumidify in the morning.

Wood attracts dust. Damp dust on wood is the ideal place for spores to grow.

Addendum - I see you asked this question elsewhere and had some answers. If it's on tile floors then it's probably not mould. I wouldn't be blocking all vents as that will increase your humidity but if you have blocked all entry points then the dust must be forming in the house.

If there are no appreciable air movements and the dust is on the floor then look up to the ceiling. Give it a rub to see if similar comes off. There are testing companies that will test your water quality. I am sure there are testers for all manner of materials. It would be a matter of sending some to them. If you live in a city then take some to the chemistry department of your local university. It might be an interesting project for them to run a mass-spectrometer on it.

However, if it smells like mould then it's probably organic. If it takes time to gather then that's probably you walking past and creating vortices which make the dust collect in "dead" areas, away from where it's forming.

Good luck with finding a solution but you do need professional help.

Advertisement