Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to quit Job in hospitality and move does something else?

Options
  • 28-03-2023 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

For the past few years I have been working in hospitality mainly as a kitchen porter although I have done some waitering as well, although I hated working as a waiter as I'm not much of a people person.

I feel so I may not have a choice to quit freely as I feel like I am going to be fired as I saw a similar job to mine in advertised in the same company on a jobs website either way I don't really care as I would prefer being unemployed to being overworked in my current position.

Can anyone offer advice on up skilling into a different area?

I did see one course advertised involving data analysis or something similar being provided by Microsoft but unfortunately it's only available to the unemployed.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Firstly, if your job is advertised somewhere and then they fire you, you might have grounds for unfair dismissal. It shows that they were planning to fire you without going through due process etc. Prejudging a disciplinary hearing, unfair process etc. Anyway, that wasn't your question so I'll move on.

Your question isn't easy to answer as we don't know anything about you.

What skills have you got? Have you good computer skills? Have you any qualifications, i.e. degree etc.?

What is the name of the course you were looking at? What level is it e.g. Level 5, 6, 7 etc? Are you qualified to get onto the course? Some courses require you to have knowledge of programming etc. I'm not trying to sound critical here but do you know much about data analysis or is it something you like the sound of?

I'm not trying to be negative. You need to weigh up an awful lot of stuff before you jump from one career to another. That said, it's never too late to retrain and I'd recommend that nearly everyone can benefit from continually updating their skills. I went back to college at 45 and while it was hard work, it led me to doing what I'm doing now and I'm happy out.

Here's a useful resource that you can use to see some of the options out there. https://careersportal.ie/

Advertisement