Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's cheaper in the US than Ireland?

• 28-03-2023 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Travelling to NYC next week, and I will never stop looking for a bargain. What items specifically are cheaper in the US than in Ireland, and what should I be keeping an eye out for? Particularly considering the exchange rate is poor (1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Levis, electronics, Amazon/online is generally cheaper if you can get delivered to your hotel.

Plenty more outlet stores for clothes etc, but they make specifically for outlet so the quality is worse than the main stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

Paracetamol (US equivalent Acetaminophen) - you can get bottles of 600 for a LOT less than the equivalent here.

Same with ibuoprofen..... The generic brands in the US are as good as the likes of Advil so no need to buy the most expensive option either.

You can also get anti-inflamitory tablets OTC such as Naproxen (similar to Difene here) and also Melatonin OTC.

These are my go-to stock ups when I travel to the US

You can look up the US prices of what you need online. Don't forget to factor in sales tax though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bring a half empty suitcase so you have room \ weight on the way back for your purchases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Guns and ammunition. Life in general.

Yeehaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The quality of the clothes is fine, I got several years of regular wearing clothes I bought last time, they just won't impress people who buy the really expensive version of the brand.

Life is definitely cheap in the US.

Yep, if you like brands the outlets are fantastic. Just bear in mind that you're not getting the genuine article and the savings are not what you think. Buttons, zips, and stitching are all lower quality on the outlet items, which is perfectly fine and they wear well.

Some outlet stores give you discounts off other ones, so a receipt from Calvin Klein gives you 10% off Tommy Hilfiger, who gives you 10% off from Polo etc.

Last time I went to the US I had a shopping list from my team mates of things to get. One got the tablet for his wife sent to my hotel because it was nearly half of what it was here.

Electronics can be dirt cheap compared to here. To be honest, this thread would be shorter if we just listed whats cheaper to buy in Ireland. Off the top of my head, the presidential election is cheaper here - but you get what you pa for.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

In NYC you won't find any decent clothes cheaper than over here but it probably depends on what you wear in general . I was in NYC outlets recently and prices were crazy for just plain regular stuff like Nike ....I ended up buying nothing only a couple of shirts in Macy's and TJMax .

I'd head to those before outlets but similar to here you'll need to through the racks.

Electronics probably a bit cheaper but savings depends on the quality your looking for.....You'd have a better chance getting a 4k machine over there for maybe 3k as opposed to 3.5k here but if your just looking at a 200 quid tablet the savings versus peace of mind / postage if return needed might not be worth the hastle .

Just take a look at Best Buy online and see if there is anything you really want 😁

Headphone are one I usually pickup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wouldn't recommend getting electronics over there unless it's small items or accessories. 1. the price difference is exaggerated and 2. the USA wifi spectrum is restricted versus Europe - in my experience with a laptop at least - wifi on it was noticeably worse compared to similar items here.

What is much cheaper and also stronger over the counter are teeth whitening strips. We're talking a saving of around €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Went to Staten Island Outlets back in November. Levis & Guess were the only two shops we bought much in. Levis had some good reductions on tshirts and tops but in limited sizes. Jeans were buy on get one half price so worked out around $55 a pair. Guess outlet was better range and value than the Kildare Village one here. Macy's and Marshalls for clothing would be next best bets.

Apart from the above the bargains were few and far between so don't go with the expectation of filling a case with cheap anything.

Shop called Five Below on 5th Avenue for toys, games & kids oriented stuff. Massive sweet shop (It's Sugar) on 42nd street with huge range.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

I get a rash from these. I gave away all the bottles I bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭bliger

Have a look at their bargain alerts section

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Would customs not have issues bring that much medication into the country. I know it is paracetamol's, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭suave.4u

cars are very cheap in US when compared to here, just saying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

Have done it 20+ times and never had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

I went looking for Electronics in NY a while back - With the exchange rate and tax added - I didn't see a huge difference in what you can get here online - maybe if you order from Amazon and get delivered to hotel.

Dollar Pizza take away slices is a big thing over there - but ending this year I believe :) the dollar stores are fun to browse also for unusual things - there were some decent indoor markets that open at the weekends - they spanned several blocks.

Anything touristy - like visiting Empire State has gone up massively in price in past couple years that will eat into any savings made on buying stuff.

Steer clear of the dodgy electronics shops all over NY - the ones with no prices on anything - they give you a price and as you leave shop drop the price - and that will be without tax - not a nice buying experience - and still not worth it.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

With the exchange rate you do have to search out the bargains. Pharmacy items as mentioned above but overall the I find the US no longer a 'cheap' destination for eating out or shopping. For example last trip a new O'neill wetsuit and Nike Airforce 1's were requested. The wetsuit (identical) I sourced in Ireland at almost 25% cheaper and the trainers were €15 cheaper delivered in Ireland. I you have a specific item in mind don't assume the US is cheaper. I usually find Amazon has loads of stuff I didn't know I needed and getting that delivered calms my shopping urges

Runners are very expensive. There's a status symbol around them in the US, which doesn't exist here.

RE bringing pills into Ireland, it's restricted AFAIK. That said, no one is checking. Same way that no one checks if you bring 5 litres of vodka and 1000 cigarettes into the country. Just don't be an idiot and carry them through in a clear plastic bag.

Here's the line " Subject to other requirements, certain exemptions may apply for the importation of a medicinal product by a person for his/her own personal use under certain circumstances and not being by mail order."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/documents/prohibitions-restrictions.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Good while you are there I suppose - Aspirin etc. is also of course available more locally in Belfast for 40p or less a box in eg. Boots. (Not the huge quantities USA package up together - but you are allowed buy max of Asprin and max of Ibuprofen per purchase if needed).

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Food....or at least the portions are bigger for what you buy here. A kids meal is GIANT

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

You've bought bottles of 600 20+ times? You must go through a lot of paracetamol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Apple products tended to be cheaper in the US. Levi's jeans as well.

However electronics isn't often the same in terms of technical specs than in Europe. Clothes also don't always have the same quality.

I think today the difference in prices isn't as strong as it used to be.

Back in the 90ies you could have flown to the US with an empty suitcase and returned to Europe, - just having to dodge customs but they often turned a bind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

If you've got time, head out to Jersey Gardens Outlet (get a bus from the main bus station, takes around 60mins). When you arrive go straight to the concierge desk and buy a coupon book(around €10) - you save a fortune on already reduced stuff such as Levi's, Nike, Under Armour etc.

Post edited by Movie Maestro on

Ive never had an issue. They are not controlled and they are for personal use. I dont bring suitcases full, just enough to do us for a while.

We also like ROSS outlets - similar to TJMaxx but we find cheaper - you have to be prepared to search through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭minimary

Hydrogen peroxide, very cheap and easily available in most US pharmacies/dollar stores. Great for stain removal and minor cuts.

Very highly controlled and expensive in Ireland

It's expensive, but you can order it by the litre in pharmacies and on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭poitinstill

MAC make up was considerable cheaper a when i was asked to get some but that was a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

Second this for ROSS. Was in Miami for work recently and spent about 2 hours rooting in ROSS, great value in T-shirts (8 dollars) and sportswear but runners were weirdly expensive.

CVS for melatonin, tylenol PM etc too.

otherwise found Ireland vastly cheaper.

Advertisement