Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming desktop

Options
  • 28-03-2023 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks. After almost 8 years of limping along with ex-work laptops (Lenovo W-series), I'm in the market to build something that will actually let me play some of the back catalogue I have in Steam, as well as the option to just buy if I see something new come out that I like. I used to be quite comfortable with building my own desktops, but I'm woefully out of the loop and my current attempts to research have just added both confusion and indecision. I was going to buy something pre-built, but again there seems to be mixed messages about some of the online providers in that space, and I'm making an assumption (rightly or wrongly) that buying something from a Currys or Harvey Normans is going to be overpriced.

For example this caught my eye in Currys: https://www.currys.ie/products/acer-predator-orion-5000-po5640-gaming-pc-intel-core-i7-rtx-3070-2-tb-hdd-and-1-tb-ssd-10233218.html

It's €100 cheaper in shop for some reason, and I admit I may have just been dazzled by the pretty colours. I attempted to spec the same up on PCPartPicker but I really don't know if I was selecting the exact like for like components and I have no experience with cooling at all. Plus if I was to go that route, do I need to build contingency in the budget for potential customs charges?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

1. What is your budget? €1,500-€2,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, not really fussed about the latest and greatest FPS but do like space simulators/world builders/RTS and would like something I can use my Quest 2 with also.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Not right now, but will probably upgrade in the future. Separate budget.

6. Do you need any peripherals? I have keyboard and mouse that 'will do' but if there's budget left over would look to get something better.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank/Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. Do you need help building it? Maybe?

Advertisement