Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation to allow children to work adult jobs.

Options
  • 28-03-2023 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭

Getting rid of red tape that inconveniences employers, children will no longer have to have a permit to work under the age of 16. Doing jobs the equivalent of a 'paper round' for a couple of hours here and there is one thing, working overnight shifts in a meat packing industry is another.

Sanders' signing of the bill comes after a major US food sanitation company that operated facilities in eight states, including Arkansas, recently paid a $1.5 million civil penalty for employing minors in hazardous conditions.

Packers Sanitation Services illegally employed at least 102 children between the ages of 13 and 17 in jobs that required them to use toxic chemicals and clean razor-sharp saws.

This is the kind of situation that Sanders is trying to legalise.

I worked - because I wanted to - in retail on Saturdays - from being 16 and it was fine, did me no harm and gave me some pocket money. I worked full time in an office from age 17. There is no reason why a 16 year old should not do some appropriate work if they wish, but 16 should be a minimum. This is not really about the children of Republican parents, this is about exploiting immigrant minors, making life easier for employers and while supposedly giving parents more authority does not protect children from parents who would exploit them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

I worked on the land and in glasshouses' from about the age of 10, didn't do me any harm and I learned the value of money once it was my own I was spending. No issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, but you know what they say about people in glasshouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I think we all support children working a few hours at the weekends picking spuds and doing some light tasks, earning some pocket money and learning the value of work.

I was painting fences and mowing lawns from a young age.

This looks like child abuse, especially if children are missing school or in any sort of dangerous working conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The creators of South Park ('dey tuk er jawbs') are libertarian Republicans too.

Ultimately if you are a typical brain-dead Irish liberal you are hand in glove with such people, throwing accusations of racism against anyone who would inquire into their flooding labour markets with low-wage people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think kids should be allowed to work maybe 5 hours a week during school term and 20 hours during school holidays. We did it when we were kids and were glad to have some pocket money.

For the vast majority it was a good thing.

Obviously they shouldn't be put in risky situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Im an accountanant.

Advertisement