Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikesafe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Interesting they are now charging. But the Garda operate like any business now. Security costs for gigs etc. They were doing it in their own time too - so likely a drop off in volunteers for it. Worth doing it either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Managed to get a slot in Ballyshannon on the 29th April.

Be interesting to see what it's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I was one of the participants in very first bikesafe test years ago.

I don’t see any point in doing one without having already undertaken ROSPA training. The Garda training is broadly similar to ROSPA and the Bikesafe test is based upon that code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭muddle84

Is Bikesafe open to people that haven't done their test yet/are still on provisionals? I can't see any list of requirements on the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Didn't it just: I was on first thing yesterday and every slot was gone. I emailed them and they said they were surprised by the level of takeup.

I did Bikesafe in it's first iteration back then as well, was a good experience.

I think it's ideally aimed at non-RoSPA riders as being the brief course it is, it's more likely to be taken up (witness all booked out in one day) due to the modest time commitment.

But I do think it's actually a door-opener for people to get them to go on and do RoSPA as the evaluation they'd give you is really a signposting of where you'd benefit from such training. From that I'd say you (should) see a takeup in RoSPA training - which I'm a big supporter of.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 faz1

Did Bikesafe a few years ago and found it useful and informative.

Is there a RoSPA training available in Irl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

I did bikesafe with Garda some 10 years ago here in Drogheda - it was only an hour or two and I thought it was realy good. Garda followed me on his bike for first part observing how I ride, and then he explained what I am doing right and what I could do better, and followed me again to see if I am improving. Garda was very positive and supportive really. The main takeaway that I still remember from the session is about road positioning - I recall him saying give more importance to your position on the road for your maximum visibility and security, don't mind the road markings too much, the main focus of the road position should always be to own the road and to absolutely make sure that you are seen.

I never go the certificate, but sure I am not complaining - it was totally free!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Prospectors

To anyone who has done this recently, what does the day consist of?

It says it runs from 10am to 4pm, do you break for lunch at the barracks or do you take breaks out on the road?

Does it run all the way until 4pm?

How many other attendees were there with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I did it three weeks ago in Ballyshannon.

Starts approx 10AM in the barracks with the theory part, which was about two hours give or take with a tea break in between.

Then it was the ride out which is about 2-3 hours depending on the time. You'll stop every now on and then on the road as the guard will give some tips but ours was one proper tea/coffee stop during the ride. It does end around 4PM give or take ours ran a little bit late which was fine.

The theory part is meh as the videos were outdated but the ride out was great and worth it alone + the weather was great in Donegal.

There were 8 people on mine and 4 guards - 1 guard for 2 people.

The guards were all sound too.

Advertisement