Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to build a smart network in my home

• 28-03-2023 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I would like to setup a new smart/mesh type network in my home, I currently have a number of TP Link devices that are causing me issues with smart devices.

I currently have a Vodafone Gigabit main router which I hate, I intend to put in a replacement router and would like maybe 2 access points that have existing Cat 5 cable in place. I want to use approximately 50-70 smart devices (switches bulbs etc on Smartlife) in a bungalow covering around 2500 ft2

I was thinking of using something like TP-Link Deco X60 AX5400 as the access points and TP-Link AX5400 as the main router.

any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭emaherx

I think Planning on 50 - 70 Tuya/Smart life WiFi devices on your main WiFi mesh network is a bad idea, many of which have issues with mixed mode WiFi networks. You'd probably get better connection reliability with them if you had a separate 2.4GHz only network for them or even better use the Zigbee versions and keep them off your WiFi altogether.

Personally I'd avoid Tuya/Smartlife devices altogether as I don't like the fact that they lack control over the local network and loose all smart functionality if your Internet connection or their servers go down. Although with Home Assistant, a third party integration and a bit of tinkering I have my few Tuya devices under local control, but wouldn't fancy setting up 50+ this way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭theintern

All good points above. A zigbee network would be a good idea, as long as you have a few hardwired devices through the house to act as repeaters. The more devices, the stronger the network gets. More and more wifi devices gets tricky.

If you're going to go the wifi route, and you have ethernet wiring, then you could look at more 'business' level wifi systems, like TP Links Omada access points or Ubiquitis access points. Likely will function better than your mesh system, assuming you space them out through the house. You can wire them back to the router via power over ethernet so you don't need plugs.

That said, it looks like a good deal on that deco system you just linked.

Advertisement