Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced medication

Options
  • 28-03-2023 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to discuss a case of medication forced on me recently. 

The matter is that I am currently staying in St. James hospital in Fownes ward with no reason for my stay what so ever. The way I got in there was that guards brought me suspecting something might have been wrong with me and the medical doctor was delighted to confirm their suspicion with offering a diagnosis of schizophrenia with no outstanding symptoms on my part what so ever.

The reason I am writing this is that I have terrible side-effects to antipsychotics. On the rare occasions when I was exposed to them I had from a negative feelings of dissociation and down energy to a state where a normal task that takes several minutes of a normal person took me several hours long. So I refused the medication. The short story is I was feeling healthy and was in fact healthy and they brought me in and made me ill. The medication is continuously hurting me to the point I start making orthographical and punctuation mistakes I never do when I am off the antipsychotics and my consultant psychiatrist which the staff told me is my doctor - the same person who prescribes them despite being informed of the way they affect me and understanding that I obviously can make my choices still forced me to, basically a group of security guards comes in with the injection to hold me during the administration.

What do I do then? Sue them? How exactly to do that or how exactly to go about it? Please, advice.

Kindest regards,

Eric

Post edited by frequenter on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think you have posted on the wrong board. This one is for dispute resolution for this site, Boards.ie.

Maybe try the section Long Term Illness?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with disputing a ban or warning. Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll move this to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

OP we have all been there. It's now your turn. I know someone like you who never felt better when they weren't being forced medication and once on them slow to move and cognitive all out of wack. The injections are for your own good as the doctor will tell you. It's only a little prick so no need to worry.

At least you are just on a antipsychotic, I know someone who was on the highest dose and also the highest dose of valium. Two tablets of valium a couple of times a day along with an antipsychotic. I know someone who got two injections on either side of the hip at the same time, an antipsychotic and some other shít as well.

Be careful a nurse doesn't call into your room with a fist full of tablets and say take your tablets despite the fact they are not for you and tell them you are on the injection so the tablets are not yours. He will keep persisting you take them despite they are not yours. He will eventually f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 frequenter

Thank you for your replies. I have confirmed my email now for this to be moved to an appropriate part of boards.ie and for me to be able to post properly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've moved this to Long Term Illness, where they can comment on how such treatments are handled.

But any kind of legal advice (or specific medical advice) is banned sitewide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Have you access to your phone op? Surely they took it away?

Terrible situation if what you're saying is true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

This is a very delicate situation, I'd ask to speak to an occupational therapist or community nurse if possible.. Obviously don't share too much info here but the catch22 for you is resisting the meds, therefore noted as a non-compliant patient which makes it easier to extend your hold.. Do you have anyone at all who can advocate for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

The ward and hospital should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Deleted and warning issued

Please note - no medical advice or off topic posts

Post edited by Gremlinertia on

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Due to a moderator action on the post you replied to, this post has been deleted

Any issues, please send me a PM

Grem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Do you have an advocate, a relative, a close friend, someone who can ask questions on your behalf and alay any upset you may be feeling?

If not, you can ask for a social worker or an in-house patient advocate to help you.

Antipsychotic drugs can be awful during that in-between stage of starting and settling in. Don't be disheartened, it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

To be honest with you go along with the care plan as I know how the system works. Take the tablets and agree you have a mental illness just to get out. The more you fight with them the longer you will be there. Go along with everything you will be out in about two weeks.

Advertisement