Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk ear-pro?

Options
  • 28-03-2023 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently use the Howard Leight honeywell ear defenders. On 2 of my rifles because of my cheek weld position, the cheek riser lifts the right side of my ear pro off slightly ... if you know what I mean. I'm going to try adjusting my position next time I'm down at the range, but I thought I'd ask if any of you guys and gals had a similar issue. If so, did you change your ear-pro, to something in ear maybe, or did you work on your positioning?

In general, I wouldn't mind hearing what you guys use for ear-pro.

Post edited by alanmc on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭JP22

I gave up using traditional ear muffs years ago for the reason you state while clay shooting.

I only shoot .22 now and I use plugs instead of muffs, much easier to shoot with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

I have and use the Howard Leighs ear protectors. But I also have the same problem with them hitting off the rifle stock and lifting up. Also when using eye protection the part that goes over ur ear will lift up the ear protectors. So now I only wear them for range officer duties and shooting handgun.

For rifle shooting I got a set of moulded in ear plugs. Nothing fancy just in ear plugs, €90. I find them very comfortable and they keep out the harsh shot noise but I can still hear ppl talking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I use MSA Sordins, tried plugs but never liked them.

That and bone conduction can also damage your hearing, so I ended up just finding a cheekweld that accommodated my ear muffs.

At this point I only wear plugs in conjunction with muffs when shooting particularly loud things, apart from that I just use the muffs.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The first thing I will say is don't adjust your natural position to fit your hearing protection, get the ear ear pro to fit your position.

In ear protection of your choosing for rifle shooting

in ear or muffs for pistols

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I have the cens proflex digital hearing protection which I use for clay shooting and also out a game. I can honestly say the best but of kit I have bought and use them everytime I’m out. A very windy day mighten be helpful but 99% of the time I’m happy with them. Once they are in and switched on no issue of muffs catching ur stock or changing ur natural alignment or head placement bcos of bad ear defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

I am on my 2nd pair of those Honeywells. I'm 61 and my hearing is perfect, despite 30 years of shooting everything from shotgun, 308, 40 etc. I also put in plugs first if there is a rifle competition or some situation where the noise level is a lot higher than a usual range day. Inside at a handgun range during a comp for example.

That said, I have the same issue. However, I find the adjustable cheek piece allows me to solve it fairly well. I don't shoot prone anymore and that used to be the main issue for me, perhaps due to the angle etc. Bench and standing does not create the same issue, at least for me.

I've thought about some gel style ones before but a bit concerned whether they would loosen or become less effective after a while. I'm interested too to hear which ones work the best based on real world use.

I do think mods make a huge difference here and I always include one in any rifle application. Shoot long enough and you will forget to put on your muffs at some point. Not a big issue with my 22s but the 308 is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have the same , and I find them very good, Only issue is th battery's don't last to long. Have been using them for 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I got a bigger battery piece in the game fair in the Uk I think, it makes all the difference but with like that you only get about 6/8 hrs out of them depending on use but it protects your hearing that’s the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I've had pretty much all types of ear protection over the years. Unfortunately when I started shooting 50 years ago hearing protection wasn't a thing and my hearing is degraded as a result.

What I've learned is:

If you're getting over the ear get waterproof - something like the Sordin Supreme Pro-X. Cheaper non waterproof don't last if they get rained on. Iv'e had a pair for about 20 years with no problem. Great for everything except clay pigeon shooting where they push against the stock a bit and are a distraction . Comfortable enough to wear all day.

I've had moulded in ear electronic but found that over time the shape of my ear must have changed and they have lost effectiveness - still worked fine for about 10 years... I now use the 3M Peltor Tactical Ear Plugs which recharge in the case and use replaceable silicon ear pieces. They get irritating after a couple of hours though.

Advertisement