Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house, can I just take my Vodafone modem with me and plug it in in the new house ?

Options
  • 28-03-2023 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

Hi,

I'm moving house, I moved the Virgin Media box and attached it to the wall socket in the new place and it just worked. My phone and broadband is with vodafone though and I'm wondering if the same should work; just plug the modem in ? Is the modem just communicating my credentials to an exchange in which case it should work from any phone socket or is it somehow tied to my phone line ?

Part two:

I haven't found an actual RJ11 phone socket in the new place but it does have Eircom phonewatch (see photos below) Does this mean that there is a phone line and that I just have to trace the wires back and add an RJ11 splitter to be able to plug in my vodafone modem ?

Thanks.

Comments

No. The way the technologies work is very different.

Cable networks aren’t radial. Everyone is essentially plugged into a common network. So if your modem is connected, at least within the same city or segment of a network, it more than likely will work on any cable socket.

For everything else, you often can bring your existing equipment but then service would have to be activated on the line and is controlled from the far end. And you maybe using different technologies - VDSL (fibre to the nearest cabinet) or real FTTH (fibre to the home).

Telephone lines are radial and if you’re using VDSL for broadband, you’ll be assigned a port on an MSAN (usually in a street cabinet) for your specific line.

Vodafone now primarily use Siro or OpenEir FTTH fibre networks. This is the fastest broadband available. In both of those cases the technology is more or less identical, but you would need to have an active ONT (optical network terminal), the box on the wall where your fibre is turned into Ethernet and your “modem” (which is actually just a router in this case) is connected there. In that case you’ll also need to be specifically setup.

You would need to contact Vodafone and you’re also probably better off getting them to do an installation. You might be able to get proper fibre at the new address.

About 20 years ago, I worked in Tech Support for broadband so my info may be a little out of date.

It used to be the case that your broadband router carried your credentials to log you on to the broadband network. However it was realized that the support overheads of doing this was too much. So they changed it so the credentials were pretty much generic, and authentication was done by activating(or deactivating) the line. As I said, that was many years ago, so it may have changed. However I think it makes sense to me that they would continue to do that. Which means you will have to ring Vodafone and ask them to transfer your subscription to the new house. At the very least ring them to clarify.

Wh would the virgin media box work though? I hear you ask? Because the subscriber information is all stored on the card in the media box. Makes setting up much easier and quicker for for tech support(read cheaper for the provider).

Advertisement