Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to die from jogging?

Options
  • 29-03-2023 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I am super unhealthy, been working in office jobs for the last 10 years. So 10 years of sitting down in a seat. I go home after work and do the same thing.

I am not fat though, BMI is normal. I'm "skinny fat" as they say but I think it's all genetics. I look healthy but my cardio is phucked.

I started jogging a few weeks ago and sometimes it feels like my heart is going to explode.

Btw I went for a check-up with my GP with ECG etc. and he says everything is normal

So basically - am I being too paranoid or is it possible that I will kill myself by pushing myself too hard?

I am imagining myself dropping dead outside Supervalu on the run home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

My current jogging routine is about 30 mins and 3.75km. Just a loop around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Well done on starting, that's the hardest part!

Have you got a smartwatch? You could track your hr through that if it goes high, slow down a bit?

If not, slow down to a more comfortable pace, for the majority of people, getting the kms complete should be the main goal, however fast you do it will be at the more elite level imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay if you're really concerned about how jogging might affect your health then you should consult your GP, don't take medical advice from an internet forum

In lieu of any advice, here's my general experience of starting jogging from the 10 or 20 times I've stopped for some reason and then restarted a few weeks/months later

When I start jogging (again) I'm not fit. I wasn't particularly fit when I stopped and since then my body has gone to sh!t in a matter of weeks

So I try to run at the pace I would run at before and before long I'm gasping for air and I feel like I'm dying

It isn't fun, and it certainly isn't easy 😞

To fix it, I need to learn my new (slower) running pace. Generally I find for the first while I'll be going slightly faster than a brisk walk and probably need to stop for breaks every few minutes

It's embarrassing, I'm being overtaken by snails, I'm covered in sweat, out of breath and my face is the same colour as a baboon's arse. And typically some fit looking lad will be going the other way running like Usain Bolt and somehow still managing to look like a male model

So yeah, I'll be feeling pretty miserable by the end of the run 😫

But I try to persevere, and after a few weeks I find a pace that works. And after a few more weeks I don't feel like I'm dying by the end of every run, and I just keep going from there

And sometimes I'll be too sore, or too tired or too busy to get a run in. That's fine, I just roll with it and try again the next day. It's isn't about any one single run, rather about just getting into the process

I've heard it said the first step is the hardest. That may be true, but for me the next 100,000 aren't much easier. But it does get easier as long as I learn to listen to my busy, don't push my limits too hard and just try to keep up the habit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can’t really blame genetics if you’ve been in a chair and not exercising for 10years+.

You heart isn’t going to explode, that simply what cardio training does to you heart rate. It beats harder and faster. It’s just unfamiliar right now.

You may not have elite genetics, but the above is simply the result of being unfit. A hmr might help you figure out how hard to push. But in the medium term I’d be trying to get that time down to 20mins

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

While I respect you as a poster and your wealth of knowledge throughout the years, I'd tend to disagree with that advice, coming from somebody with personal experience, the benefits you'll get from just doing the distance is great.

You run the risk of giving up and packing everything in by focusing on a time target after a few runs

Just my 2 cents thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sounds like you haven't figured out how to regulate your speed relative to how you feel. Knowing when to speed up and slow down is a skill you acquire.

It sounds simple, but easier said then done, especially since you're still new to jogging. If you're becoming out of breath, slow down and if your breath is fine, speed up. Rinse and repeat.

Also, you never mentioned warming up. Do you just leave the house and run? If so, warm up before you leave the house, i.e. do something like jumping jacks or jogging on the spot a few minutes before you leave the house so that your heart rate is elevated before you start. Otherwise, that could explain your heart feeling like it's going to explode.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I would say you are running too fast. One of the issues I had when I started running is just going for it, which is not really helpful. You really want to keep the majority of your runs in the 60-70% HR zone (of you max HR, calculated by subtracting your age from 220, for example if you are 40, your max HR would be 180 bpm, which means your runs you should be keeping your HR below 126). You might find starting off that you are actually walking more than running to stay in this zone which may be frustrating, but keep at it and you will improve in no time.

In short, run slower! It's actually harder to do than you think. I find using a treadmill starting off is very helpful to manage your pace.

Also to answer your question in the title, you could get knocked down by a car, so yes.

• You should be able to hold a conversation during your runs. Do the couch to 5k program and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

Biggest risk is being hit by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

They are averaging 7.5km/h. A brisk walk is 6-7km/h, so I don't think speed is the issue.

As someone else recommended, a couch to 5k type programme might be a good idea, where you're alternating between jogging and walking, and increasing the amount of running over time.

If you have a watch that measures your heart rate, there are also some plans that would use your heart rate to progress the intensity as your heart and lungs are more able.

The key early on is to try to keep well within yourself so you're able to build the habit. If you find the intensity too much, it's likely you won't stick with it. Eventually you'll get the elusive runners high, where running actually becomes enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As others have said, you can download a couch-to-5k course to your smartphone, and use that to guide you through training. Getting to a reasonable level of fitness will push you physically, and will be uncomfortable at times, but it will be worth it, and the course will take you through it in stages which will make it easier and give you reassurance that you are not doing any damage to yourself. I used one from the Guardian newspaper, but there are many available.

I also recommend a fitness App like Strava, which will record your runs and chart your progress and the steady improvement in your form — the free version is fine. I found that a great boost. The good news is that, starting from a very low base, you will see significant improvement in your form — when you're already fit, getting further improvements is a bit harder.

But take it slow. Any significant change in lifestyle generally takes about six weeks to make its effects really felt. Don't get discouraged; stick to a regular routine, follow the course and you will see the results both in improved performance and in less agony.

Oh, and develop and stick to a good stretching routine to accompany your runs. Keeping to a regular exercise regime is easier if you're not still sore from the last session when you start the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't jog yet. Just go walking, a reasonable pace, not dawdling too much. If you can build a bit of a hill or two into your route, all the better.

That's all you need to do to get started - walk. And if you like walking, then stick at it and look up the likes of signposted walking trails where you can get a good workout.

Jogging is over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

30 minutes is not a smart jumping off point when you're starting from sedentary. That's like walking into a gym and just throwing a load of weight on a bar and giving it a go - doesn't work well. I'd recommend a mix of very easy going walk/run intervals until your heart is fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, walk instead. Walk up hills if you can. Get or borrow a dog and go for really long walks. Up the pace after a while. Then maybe proceed to jogging, running.

I went from not being able to run at all to 45 minute runs and then back to zero. I got burned out. Also too cold in winter and arsing around with the correct runners. Kept coming up with excuses. With walking, I can put on a rain jacket and go anytime.

I do want to get back to jogging/running but in the meantime I walk.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Right, Well done for starting out.

Slow down your pace, you should be doing easy jogging which means be able to talk easily on the jog!!!

First you need a plan, what do you want to get from it? To be able to run 5k ?

Did you look up couch to 5k, its a good starting point.

In running terms, your cardio is not great, that is ok, easy to improve. So stop running hard and run easy, you need to build a base first which can take 6-12 weeks depending on where your starting point is.

Come over to the Athletics forum and loads of people will help you out and plenty of other posts there for you to read.

I agree that doing the distance is a benefit , and it increases the further you run. Realistically 3.75km is not a very long run. Increasing to 5km would be better, 6km better again etc.

It’s not that runner faster is inherently better for fitness, it simply allows us to run further in a given time. Our work outs tend to be limited by available time more than anything. Improving pace makes that time more efficient

Why do you want to keep the majority of your runs in the 60-70% HR zone?

Heart rate zone training has a valid application for high level training. But the way it’s rolled out for casual training is deeply flawed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

If I drive a car to the max with a cold engine.There is a good chance it could fail

If I drive a car to the max with an engine up to temp ,is very unlikely to fail .

If I try to tow a 5 ton weight with a car it will fail .

If I try to tow the same weight with a truck ,it won't fail .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heavy in the legs? Not every run should be at a hard pace, you gain more from easy runs where you are not tired after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

There's some really good apps that recommend this as well. You start out slow and build your way up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement