Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling phone contract but want to keep number

Options
  • 29-03-2023 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A Relative is heading to USA next month for a year but he wants to keep his phone number. He rang VM Mobile today who say that if he cancels contract he will lose his number. They said however that if he ports to a PAYG sim he can keep his number.

My question is are there and Pay As You Go sims that can keep the number active without topping up?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I moved to Virgin 6 months ago and the usual new sim is a different number and your new provider should be able to port it over.

My Sim is on contract and a monthly fee is withdrawn from bank account. 30 day contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭jos22

one option would be top up by the min amount like 5Euro, think its something like 6 months, that way the credit would remain in the account, when they return they could use the built up credit to buy a chat extra etc

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rhinosaurious

vodafone pay as you go, €5 top up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I think you might also need to send a text/make a call every six months to keep it alive.

That was the case with eir before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

€5 every 8 months to keep SIM active, no need to do anything else.

Number is retrievable up to 14 months after top up.

See "Why is my number not working?" in FAQs

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/pay-as-you-go-hub/pay-as-you-go/top-up-offer-faqs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tesco used to be best, top up once every 2 years and make some active operation every 6 months. Might have changed now tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The only issue with Tesco is the initial cost of €15 and the credit is gone after a month. Vodafone SIM is free and the €5 credit is available for use up to 6 months.

Texts can also be sent online from the SIMs number even when they can't be sent from the SIM itself after 6 months since top up.

Advertisement