Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey dust all over Apt.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Does OP's residence have a central vacuuming system at base level around the skirting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Try contacting the State Laboratory and explain your situation. They might be willing to help. If they are unwilling ask them if they would just run an IR spectrum. If you post a scan of the result I’ll tell you if it’s cellulose.

Another option is to contact the chemistry department of Trinity or UCC. If you ask them to ID the material they might not be too willing but they might be willing to support a specific request.

I could give you names of commercial labs but a simple one off analysis would cost hundreds and a complete analysis thousands and at the end of it all they still might not be able to tell you what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

looks like asbestos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

is it happening in the same places every time/

would a blow door test help find the cause. it would help find other draughts as well so wouldnt be wasted money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I PMed the OP about that, apartment seems too new to have had asbestos used but I did wonder if this was an apartment build in an older house?

However the OP's description of it charring but not burning suggests its not asbestos. I've done experiments with asbestos and it doesn't burn at all.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Another suggestion OP. Hope you like incense sticks 😀. Have you tried seeing how the air moves in the house. If you light an incense stick and very slowly walk around with it then you will get an idea of any drafts and how the air is moving around the house. Tracing the air movements back to their source my reveal something? Also pick the worst room for this dust and light half a dozen incense sticks and put them all over, then site down relax and watch how the smoke moves around.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement