Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a website or app where one can send text messages?

Options
  • 30-03-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

My plan has unlimited data and limited everything else.

Is there a way to send text messages from your computer?

I know there are VOIP apps on android where you can buy a text bundle, but I think you have to use a VOIP number?

And it still costs.

Surely there's a way to send texts from a computer?

In US zones and Canada there is a way to do it from e-mail but I think that's confined to those areas and must be supported by the provider (like "verizon" etc).

Suggestions?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

Also, have you looked at WhatsApp? Most people have it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Had a look there.

lol, it's limited to like 140 characters and each text ends with "Thanks for using globfone".

Cheers for the suggestion, anything else?

As to whatsapp, I have it but often times the receiver doesn't, additionally it's not ideal for sending "mass" texts, several numbers at one time like "I'm out of office 2 days this week".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm with Tesco mobile and send txts from laptop all the time as I don't like typing on phone unless absolutely necessary. Vodafone used to have same system when I was with them. I also use Whatsapp but again mainly from laptop.

WhatsApp is great for mass texts. Especially if you use the web client. Just add recipients, and type out the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Who you with?

Three use to have webtext and i was using it years back, not certain if still work. So check with your provider if they have it and if you entitled.

https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/webtext-terms-conditions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Actual plain old SMS text messages do have a fixed length limit of 160 characters. If you want to send it that way thats what you're stuck with I'm afraid. If your message is longer you can split into several SMS' but that constraint is just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone webtext...

https://n.vodafone.ie/myaccount/webtext.html

3 webtext...

https://messaging.three.ie/messages/send/

Links above work when logged in to the respective providers portal.

AFAIK Vodafone allow 600 webtext per month to any number worldwide.

3 allow 500 webtext per month with just 25 of those to international numbers.

VF & 3 webtext works as long as the SIM is active even with zero credit balance.

Tesco webtext only works when plan is active.

Long SMS works on Vodafone's webtext (probably similar on 3).

Vodafone allow up to 5 recipients per webtext.

Downside is no contacts stored online so number has to be shared/pasted from phonebook/contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir has webtext, with features for importing contacts book and group messaging. Not unlimited, but you get 300 free national webtexts & 100 free international, in addition to your normal plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Eir ended webtext for PAYG a couple of years ago. They didn't like the bargain hunters sending webtext for free and only buying the calls and data plan for 20 when it cost 30 for calls, text and data.

• Advertisement

Checked the provider web text service.

That's awesome.

Just got to mention though, it's surprising there's not more online web services where you don't have to be registered with a provider, to send SMS/MMS messages?

There is globephone listed above but it's limited.

That seems to be the only non-registration means to send an SMS?

If I'm paying for wifi at home, I don't even need to pay an additional fixed monthly cellular bill.

If there were a simple web based SMS service (which by rights should be free), it could save me that additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There used to be loads of online sms services a decade ago. I used to use the email to SMS service regularly. They've slowly disappeared though.

https://www.afreesms.com/freesms/

I've seen that format of free sms site.

It doesn't seem to work for Ireland.

Advertisement