Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating in Ireland

Options
  • 30-03-2023 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Folks, I'm looking at renovating ah farm house, its currently livable but like all old farm houses damp is becoming an issue so looking at sorting this while adding additional space.

I was just wondering what to expect when it comes to the cost of completing an extension, as there currently is grants for most things to bring up the BER rating. the plan is 714 sq meters ground floor and 198 sq meters first floor. We have drawings complete and are about to go for planning so really just wondering about labor and material costs.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

Do you know where the dampness is coming from. As someone who lived in an old house i know It can come from numerous places, walls, roof, floor etc..

Price will come down to you location and what needs to be done. Have a read through some of the other threads and you will see people being qoutes up to 2k-4k per SQ meter for extensions. Things are so crazy currently I would suggest you wait!

Are you sure your correct with your measurements here. Your numbers seem off to me unless this place is gigantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 farmer1990

It's a mix of the walls and roof, so unfortunately needs the work, this is sq feet haha sorry! I'll give a look at the other threads on this, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

If the roof is an issue then that might be what's causing the walls to be damp and it is leaking just above them or running on to them.

Best to get some prices off ur local builders as price can vary so much especially in the case of old houses as you never knew what you would find.

For example In my place the walls were over 3 foot thick and just drilling a hole would take like an hour which is 2 minutes in a normal house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

If you can post photos and people can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

the plan is 714 sq meters ground floor and 198 sq meters first floor.

912sqm is vast. Are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A lot of people don't bother renovating and they just knock every wall except the front and build a newbuild apart from that one wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 farmer1990

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would you qualify for the derelict improvement grants? Has it been lived in for the last two years? There's good money allocated to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I guess builders prefer that. Better profit margin but I am not sure if is the greenest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The front wall is kept simply to keep a planning official happy. Grant of €70K now available. That would be a major help in restoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

I thought it was the Irish White House there for a few minutes 😄

Advertisement