Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance and working

Options
  • 30-03-2023 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭

I understand you can only work 18 or so hours per week when on carers allowance.

After this is awarded do the department check in frequently to verify hours are not being exceeded?

What if you went over the odd week due to having to cover someone else’s shift or similar?

I have a family member going claiming it for a relative to offer care and am concerned they will up their hours gently after wards and lose it again. I have a vested interest as them being available for caring duty takes some pressure off me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Revenue “chat” constantly now to SW. An increase in income will be a red flag and the claimant can expect to get a review.

Breaking the rules around carers in particular is literally stealing from the old and the sick, lying and being greedy. I can never understand how people look themselves in the mirror when they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Revenue / SW dont talk. As long as you are not doing extra hours every week you'll be fine. 2 or 3 hours a month extra will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

They got rejected anyway claiming they didn’t think the person needed full time care. Despite the doctor supporting the application.

Good to know the desk jockeys in SW are medical experts 😀.

You can appeal that decision if you have better evidence. Is the public health nurse involved? He or she might supply you with a letter.

What evidence do the GP supply? I have seen a lot of applications for carers and disability recently where the GP completed the medical report basically indicating that the caree didn’t need full time care and attention at all. If the GP doesn’t support the application it will fail first time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement