Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right time to cut down a tree ?

Options
  • 31-03-2023 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I've got a 20 foot tree in my front garden and it's getting too big. I see that it's cracked the wall in 3 places and the roots are pushing up through the concrete driveway. It's gotta go. Is this an OK time to cut it down ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes.

No reason to let it grow another season, if it is causing damage to paths and structures.

But do get in a professional, who has insurance; tree cutting is dangerous work.

And may I gently suggest ~~ planting another tree, (or two) in a different location, to make up for the lost oxygen from all those green leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The best time to cut down a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

[Checks sarcasm detector]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on the tree! i've got trees that tall in my garden where the trunks are only a few inches thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

20ft isn't very tall, true, but if its doing damage then its too big.

I have a common rowan tree near to my garage which is a fine sturdy tree, probably 20 years old, but its less than twice the height of the garage - which I would guess is 10ft high, so I guess the tree is 17 to 18ft with a trunk diameter of 9 - 10 inches. In the wrong place I could see it doing damage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i should clarify that my comment was in relation to felling it, rather than the damage it might be doing. it's unlikely though that if the OP is worried about it, that it's a thin spindly thing.

Advertisement