Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2023

Options
  • 31-03-2023 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Might as well get a thread started for this one.

Are peoples excitement levels building? Will the new tees impact on the bombers?

Can Rory get it over the line, it's probably some of the best form he's had coming into the Masters?

Will the LIV guys show up, without having played a lot of 72 hole competitive golf? I see that Cam Smith is the only player on the pre tournament interview schedule, which I assume is a conscious snub of some big name past champs.

Could definitely be some interesting pairings depending on how things play out?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looking forward to the sunshine and back 9 Sunday with Tiger roar.

Damn shame not on BBC, when Peter Allis passed it was a sad day and now not on the BBC at all is just wrecking a tradition

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Weather forecast not looking great at the moment for the weekend.

Potential storms on Thursday and rain for the weekend. Talk of a potential Monday finish?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Won't suit the Tiger, he's done playing in lower temps, he needs the power from our yellow sun

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

I hate rain interrupted events. Play is slow enough at the best of times.

This us the current forecast.

Interestingly, and I never understood this, the rain percent they give out is not the percent chance of rain, its the percent of the area covered that is guaranteed rain, something new I learned today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've just found out that BBC are not showing highlights.

The Masters is the only golf I ever watch on TV, so I'm not about to get a sky sports contract.

Anyone got any proposals? I'd actually prefer highlights to spending 4 days watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Some podcast was talking about the BBC lately and mentioned that they were offered PGA tour highlights for free and turned it down. Hard to think there aren't influential people in that sports department who don't want to see them cover golf. Matt Fitzpatrick not even nominated for BBC sports person of the year, rory never winning it, the lack of any furore to keep the open. And then actually turning down free content. Surely a 1 hour a week highlights package would get enough viewers for a slot somewhere.

Looking at the renewed popularity of F1 now really reinforces the importance of something being available to people to grow and interest in it. Loads of people are watching F1 for the first time in about 20 years due to drive to survive. They went away largely because it went to sky. The same thing is happening with golf. The annual masters and open golf is gone. The two weekends of golf a lot of people watched will now be reduced to zero golf. It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd imagine there'll be highlights on youtube. Now TV could be a feasible option, yeah you've to pay but its relatively cheap.

Think you can get 3 months of now sports package for €30 at the moment, which is not too crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Master's website has shown live feeds recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Myles Dungan used to present a Sunday night live Masters feed on RTE many moons ago.

I used to love it as a young lad and it got me interested in the game which I've been playing over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

Must look into now tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Now TV. Don't pay full price. Check out this thread for a sports code. You need the sports subscribe (Sports Extra is for BT).

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058086783/now-tv-latest-deal-codes#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I signed up with NowTv last week. It was 22€ a month for 12 months for just the sky sports. Hopefully it's still there. That deal was only for first time subscribers to the sports package

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not the biggest golf fan, but I always enjoy the masters.

Scottie last year was incredible and I have fond memories of Tiger Woods in 2019.

Could this be Rory year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

Not on the BBC,, they passed it,, and it was offered the coverage for free..

So no masters golf for me this year..

But the BBC are making it up to us all,, By remaking some nice Dickensian Dramas,, with most of the lead characters Race Swapped ...

Can't Wait ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It would be great if Rory could do it. I see the LIV guys are talking about a big celebration on the 18th green on Sunday if one of them win.

I think Zander Schauffele could be a good candidate for the win this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GolfPar

Tee times and groupings out today?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

The masters app is actually brilliant. It shows every shot by every player, you can follow who you want. Live leaderboard etc. Would recommend downloading it if you haven't the channels to watch on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

Hearing weather supposed to be pretty bad for the four days. Plenty of rain and good chances of thunderstorm. Hopefully they get all four days in . Could be a Monday finish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not the worst situation if that happens with it being a bank holiday. The early Sunday finish few years back was lovely, wouldn't mind that again...completely neglect family duties for a day for it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Might suit our man Shane , he seems to perform well in windy and rainy conditions. His form going in is poor though !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

With a bit more digging it seems that its almost right. The calculation is a combination of the forecaster’s certainty that rain will fall in the area and how widespread it is expected to be.

So the percent chance of rain * the percent of area likely to be rained on.

For example, an 80% chance of rain, across 50% of the area gives a percent chance of precipitation of 0.8 * 0.5 = 40% chance in the forecast

for me its just the chance of any spot getting any rain in the say hour or day of the forecast

without the second bit

so just 80% chance of rain, its to imprecise for anything else and that makes the most sense to the end user

Sure, I get that, but it's an incorrect assumption and strictly more imprecise going by the US National Weather Service definition.

If you take 2 examples:

A 100% chance of rain across 30% of the area = a 30% chance of rain in your forecast

A 60% chance of rain across 50% of the area = a 30% chance of rain in your forecast

So two different scenarios resulting in a single output in the forecast you see

look thats not what you said above in the first post

inn the image, 80% chance of rain means 80% of rain anywhere in the forecast area

that's how it works

not that there is 100% chance of rain in 80% of the forecast area, which is what you said

Yes, I know that's not what I said initially, hence my clarification in my first reply to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭gillamandango

"A 100% chance of rain across 30% of the area = a 30% chance of rain in your forecast"

So if I put in my area for the weather, it will say there is X amount of chance of rain which could be 100% or 0% depending on where I am, but my location is precise, so it doesn't make sense

Advertisement