Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought: customer support to IT Graduate role. Future prospects

• 31-03-2023 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Advice sought.

Little bit about myself.

-> I am a computer engineer who passed out in 2014.

-> Due to family commitments, I was looking for part time jobs only at that point.

Could not find many options back then in Dublin, so finally landed a customer Support role part time

role. The job was highly flexible, paid good hourly rates when compared to other competitors , could not complain.

-> Finally last year I reached a point where I can finally work full time (remote). Gave couple of interviews and landed a Support grad role in a Fortune 100 Product based company. Pay is 42K.

Now this product is inhouse, there are virtually no other openings in Ireland; there are some in mainland EU, but don't want to relocate. Also the pay increases here are very minimal. I do not expect reaching 50K even after spending 10 years here. I must add that there not much work pressure and is fully remote, so that part is fine. The company also laid off some staff recently, so if I out in the job market, it would be tough just with this product knowledge.

-> I would like to get into some area where there are more job prospects. Don't want to go into development at all.

Are there any areas where I can make a move to, don't need Development/ coding and there are better job prospects? How to proceed here? Maybe there are some courses?

From my research Testing is a similar area and there are good prospects in ireland. Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement