Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a reason why this generation is "worse off" than their parents

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is cuckoo funds and cuckoo councils buying up properties that would otherwise be available for first time buyers to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

It is time for “left wing” parties to grasp the nettle of property tax Since rates were abolished, the local authorities have been starved of cash ( one reason for not building social housing)

To give an example: in 1976 I paid 60 pounds rates for a small house That would be about 2-3 thousand in todays money This year I paid slightly less than 500 for a larger house That’s a lot of money lost to local government over 47 years

We all know that tax dodgers invest in property and a property tax is one of the most equitable ways to redistribute wealth

why are the parties who complain about housing opposed to property tax?

If a trip to a cafe followed by the cinema is costing you a pile of money, you are either going to ver different cinemas to me, or my definition of a pile of money is very different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Daughter is a secondary school teacher. Here are the salary scales.

As I said she is just short of 50k. I have to revise UP my projected pay for five years time. As increments 4,8 and 12 are gone in five years time she will be on 61k point 13 on the scale. A 2% average annual wage rise would bring her to about 67.5k.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There was just over €1 billion euro underspent on housing over the last two years from 2020 to 2022 according to figures from The Dept of Housing.

The figures were given in a parliamentary question that was asked by SF's Housing Spokesperson; Eoin O'Broin.

I know we had Covid, the War in Ukraine and the cost of living over the 2 years but this is something that we cannot risk doing again.

There are so many people out there who are currently stuck in this limbo while busting their gut in trying to get a house to allow them and their families to live and work here. The sad reality there are very few properties available in this country either to buy or to rent.

If any of those buyers or renters are looking to get somewhere to live in this country. It feels like that the pace of building any sort of new housing is not going to become acceptable any longer in the short to medium term. The system is just far too slow to keep up with the public's demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Its ridiculous. They should be forced to spend the the money and build the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Sorry I'm primary. Always knew secondary were better paid but depending on your subjects in secondary, it could be a long time before you to that salary. Your daughter obviously has subjects that there are plenty of vacancies but there are many secondary teachers who are on nowhere near that salary.

At present there is a serious shortage of secondary school teachers in many subjects.when my daughter qualified 5 years ago she took a full-time contract (16 hours however she was getting virtually full hours)in Dublin rather than subbing locally. She intended to spend 2-3 years there to get experience. However after a year she picked up a a similar 14-16 hour contract) position down around here and decided to chance

She was made permanent on full-time hours last year. She is ambitious and a good worker. She volunteers for extra activities as she feels while she is young and has no commitments she can afford to do that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A fully qualified electrician working for Mercury in Intel is getting €35/Hour. How much do millennials want to get out of bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Not too many sparks getting that much and that is including shift allowance. Most the lads at that craic are from down the country and would be staying in digs. Its a good job for young men but when you come too a certain age and kids come along it's not a option anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Most people who buy a family home don,t buy it as an investment they buy it as a place to live and raise their family.

But since you mentioned about tax dodgers investing in property, the only ones I see doing that are cuckoo funds who buy up whole estates as an investment and and get tax breaks.

Since the local property tax was slowly phased in from 2012 I don,t see councils building social housing estates with the new stream of income they get since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That's the standard rate for a sparks with that company. Even GOs getting €20+/hour. Millennials just want everything handed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There were two articles that popped up in my local paper in the last week that annoyed me, but on the same theme more or less.

One was of a 30-year old woman who admitted to never having a job before in her life, that doesn't drive and lives in a rural area with her parents, complaining about her difficulty in getting on the property ladder.

Another was a single mother of FIVE worried about going homeless shortly.

There isn't the same "get up and go" attitude as there was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Most people who bought or built a family home before rates were abolished in the late 1970s did not buy or build it as an investment either but were still paying rates . The decision to abolish domestic rates was one of the most unhelpful decisions ever to be made by a government in the history of this state .

There should be a substantial property tax on every house including on local authority houses and the money put back into Councils to build homes . People paying one or two hundred euros on a house worth 200 or 300k is a joke .

We really need to bring back NINJA loans. It's shocking that the unemployed can't get on the "ladder". When her parents were young Sherry Fitz would have sent a limo out to bring them around to show them houses.

I think these kind of people always existed its just now they get more air time with the help of social media

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

There's plenty of millennials who are in their 40's.

I think you need to update your vocab to Gen Z'ers for when you're trying to lazily take a swipe

While you're at it, you may as well trot out the tired "cut down on avocado toast and netflix and then you'll be able to afford a house" line.

Again, there seems to be a sentiment of "i had it tough so everyone else should too" going around

Most sparks are on 1k+/ weeks straight hours. Self employed charging 60+/hour. Now 40-50% goes in self employed costs. Ya as you say mist are from the country mainly because it's hard to get a jackeen to do a trade.

I know many people doing shift work and raising families such as nurses, Gardai, many factory workers. It always very manageable where only one person is a couple is doing it.

1400/week, probably a bit of OT as well you be hitting 80k ler year. You hardly expect to be paid that for doing nothing

Slava Ukrainii

I'm a spark living in the North West. If you're a contractor most get the union rate 25.03 euro per hour now, some more some less depending. O/T rates can vary too. Self contracting is a different business with over heads and so on, so if you get someone charging 60 euro per hour that's pretty decent. 25x39=975 basic, most lads at that game are single so higher tax rates. The thing with contracting is you can be away from home 4 nights a week so it's not ideal for families because your partner is doing all the work at home, she is probably working too sometimes doing shift and not only are you paying a mortgage and what ever but your digs and feeding yourself too. Most digs haven't cooking facilities so you're eating out which the lodge fee rarely covers. If you're not staying away from home you are up at dawn and hime late. Some companies pay travel others don't. I did it myself when I was younger for nearly 20 years but I wouldn't do it now. I now work maintenance in a factory. Very few factories pay the contracting rate to maintenance lads but there can be other benefits lads on the road don't get. No job is perfect and I not knocking the job either. You'll put money away at a trade if you are sensible and not pissing it away. You have to be flexible, put in the time, and work but it isn't for everyone. I guess the same goes for most jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This generation is not 'worse off' than their parents. In most ways they have it cushier. Housing is the only negative. Pretty much everything else is better than it was.

Memories are short. There was mass emigration in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's. Many people emigrating now are emigrating for the experience rather than having to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Women entered the workplace sometime in the 80s

upto the year 2000 one working person could buy a house now it takes 2 working people to buy a house unless it's in a rural location single people are competing with couples to buy the limited no of houses for sale the bank rules like 3 or 3.5 times salary actually protect everyone if they banks engage in reckless lending they can be at risk of collapse we went through this in 2008 with the housing crash when the banks had to be rescued by the government.

I understand a gen z 25 year old person may not remember all this they just know houses prices and rents are too high

It's a cliché but true

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it

In the 80s we had large scale emigration. If we had the same net emigration today, housing would be much cheaper. But nobody wants to go back to that for obvious reasons. Being able to find employment is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

All teachers have the same pay scale, primary and secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

That's basically the council tax which UK based forum members would be entirely familiar with, along with the local services it provides.

Trying to explain and get that through to an Irish population who think their income tax should pay for everything, there's your first problem.

I'd prefer the UK version here if it meant real local services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Being an electrician isn’t an option once kids come along? Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

crazy suggestion I think.

Sure project managers, running sites around the country for example would be doing the same.

Anyway not pointing it out to you just to that other poster.

Advertisement