Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord References with tenants registered with RTB

Options
  • 02-04-2023 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been reading similar posts especially, "Landlord references" dated 18 May 2019 but I think this situation is a bit different and just want a newer perspective as that was back in 2019.

My friend is a landlord who has 2 tenants (couple) that are registered with RTB and they are looking to move out as they want to be living in town and not the countryside especially for work purposes and fuel efficiency which is fine. They requested a written letter of recommendation as they stated that the letting agency requires 01 reference from their employer & 02 reference from their current landlord. My friend advised the tenants to advise the letting agency to call him for a verbal reference but the tenants want it in writing.

I have no experience in this kind of situation and in all my renting life I have never had to request for a written reference but then again have never got rent through an agency so advised my friend I would try and do some research just to be safe. Do ye think that should be ok to provide a written reference?

I don't see a problem with this and seems reasonable to me if it's just part of the letting agency requirements but my friend is worried that the tenants could use that against him in the future if they choose not to leave and if any issues arise, they have that letter. Just to be clear the tenants are fine although they did miss rent one month for €875 a while back but apologized (not sure how someone forgets to pay the monthly rent lol) but that was sorted quickly.

What are your thoughts? It seems they would require this letter for the letting agency to sign off on the agreement but surely for viewings that would not be required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They just need to draft a simple letter, print it sign it scan or photo graph in and send to the tenant.

Say they were there from x to y current. Good tenants, paid rent on time, got on with neighbors, kept the place clean and tidy. Fixed an small issues themselves and acted promptly if anything happened that needed the LL's attention, Any questions call 086 1234566

not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Tenants leaving will be in the rental storm so need to have all ducks in a row before even applying to view a new property and if they don't have a written reference the letting agent will just move on to next in the list - they want a simple life.

Personally, I'd keep everything factual but as little as possible in a written reference.

To all prospective landlords...X and y have rented z property from date A to B. Signed former landlord. You could add contact details if you like.

Up to you if you want to add they paid rent as per their contractual obligations but I wouldn't dream of saying they were "great tenants" or any such statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,111 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Written references are so easily faked. Don't know why any agency would ask for them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Evidence that they ticked the box.

If you get a job with a fake written reference, you can be fired. I wonder if using one to get a tenancy could be grounds for eviction. Suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I just a few minutes ago heard a new one that I have never heard of before form a colleague.

After a few weeks searching himself and his girlfriend and found an apartment.

Among everything else they have sent, the agency (I think its a REIT owned property) has asked them to provide a statutory declaration that they have never overheld (if thats even a word) and have always paid rent on time in any property that either of them have ever rented.

I was aware that people were being asked for bank statements, refs etc. Even refs from 3 previous landlords, but this one is new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Agents can be sued for negligence if they don't vet a tenant who later causes problems. A written reference on file is the simplest way to show that the tenants background was checked. In the current market no agent will accept a verbal reference.

Any examples of that ever happen. Because I kow of a hell of a lot of instances of agents being negligent and washhing their hands but none where they were sued. It would be nice if they could be punished for being negligent.

It is up to the landlords to sue them. The cases are settled by their insurers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just give names, times and dates, that's it. Quant data only, nothing qualitative

Advertisement