Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part V exemption - site size and quantity of units

• 02-04-2023 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of applying for exemptions to the local authority ? I am just not clear about the thresholds.

I am getting mixed info online re the max number of units allowed without part v applying - thought it was 9 but I see 4 mentioned also.

I have applied for a pre-planning meeting but would like to be informed in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Cheers Syd for prompt reply. Not the news I wanted as the planning application form suggests 9 but that link does spell it out at 4.

So is it 20% of the total number of units say 2 out of 10, 3 out of 15, 4 out of 20 etc ?

If the proposoed development consists of mixed units say 2 bed, 3 bed, semi-detached, detached etc, what way does it work or does that vary throughout the country depending on demand ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,714 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you're not exempt then you need to contact the housing section of the local authority and have discussions as to what they want. There's no point in you giving over, say, a four bed 1500 sq ft house if they will only pay you for a 3 bed 900 sq ft house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thanks for that. I have requested an appointment with the council's housing section. So how does the process work ? It seems it needs to be agreed before a planning application is lodged yet I will not know specifically how many units I will get pp for. I plan to go for outline and then place on market. Site is circa 2 acres in a rural village. Does the developer build the agreed house types and sell to the council on completion or are the sites left vacant and the council build when they want ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,714 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If it's only "outline permission" then someone (the developer) will have to apply for "permission consequent to the grant of outline" in order to build houses there. There will be a condition in the outline permission which will direct the developer on how to comply with the part V requirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jjjulio

More info here - likely too much! - Part V – Information and Resources | The Housing Agency. Because you're seeking outline PP, agreement re number of units won't be agreed in detail but councils give letters saying agreement was reached 'in principle' subject to more detailed agreement or that your proposals are 'capable' of fulfilling the Part V requirements. I assume you know that what the council basically get is 20% (10% previously) of the difference between the value of your site without planning i.e. its existing use and its value with planning. So if your site has a value of say, €100k as agricultural (or some other existing legitimate use) land and €600k with planning, then the sale of the Part V units to the council must reflect this i.e. 20% of €600k minus €100k i.e. €100k. Your planning permission, because it's outline will likely have a condition saying the Part V needs to be finalised with the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭poker--addict

How are these values arrived at?

If i buy a house with large gardens and get planning, it is unclear how much of the original price is baked into house v potential adjacent site and then value of site with planning v site with new house?

😎

Advertisement