Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value decorative stone for front drive

Options
  • 03-04-2023 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have old quartz stones in my front drive since we bought our house. It’s similar to the Kilsaran Donegal Quartz I think.

There are lots of bare patches now so it needs updating.

Can I get advice on how much I would need for an area of approx 50m2 and where is best to purchase? Also can I just place new stone on top of old or should I treat for weeds/ moss etc first?

Thanks in advance for your help. My garden/diy knowledge is limited!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How much you will need depends on the site and how much clearance you have at the edges, a photo would help. Also to what extent weeds are coming through, does it hold water, is it level. At very least you should clear the weeds. I would think you should get the old stuff levelled with a digger and roller before adding more chips. Look at any kerbing too, now would be a good time to get any of it repaired as necessary.

I put 30 tonnes of limestone chips on an area of about 250sq m but the previous rubbish surface had been dug out and needed a lot of infill in places, much more I suspect than you will need. Also it was rolled and rolled halfway through the application and when complete, and it is holding up very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flyfi

Thanks for your reply. Yes it’s pretty level and doesn’t hold water. I’ll give it a good weed before laying stone. No Kerbing as it’s level with the path.

Advertisement