Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV + Netflix - deal

• 03-04-2023 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

As discussed on another thread, I too lost all free-to-air channels on my old Sky box. No idea why and I can't fix it.

So, I just looked at Sky and their Sky TV + Netflix deal which was €30 p/m for the first 12 months two weeks ago, is now €25 p/m for the first 12 months.

Given that Netflix is costing me €15 p/m, the puts the cost of the TV bit at €10 p/m.

I couldn't resist and just signed up.

One caveat: when you are filling in the details, it says there is a seamless switch from your existing Netflix account to paying Sky for it. Then, you go through the rest of the signup and there is nothing more about Netflix. 🤔 I phoned Sky and they said that as soon as the engineer connects me, I will receive an email about transferring the Netflix account across. The guy who took the call said he gets calls about this many times a day, every day.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Add another €10 - €14 if you want to view it in HD/UHD.

Possibly more cost if you want to view Netflix in different rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I actually hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

I would have assumed HD to be standard in 2023. Apparently not. Also, it's last on the list of add-ons. So, I didn't even notice it, since I had no interest in the other options above it.

I contacted them this morning and I can add HD (that's all our tv has) after the engineer has been, for €10 p/m with the first two months free.

So, in my first year, I'll pay an additional €100, which is fine.

Thus, from month three, the total monthly cost with be €35 p/m, €20 p/m more than I'm paying for Netflix right now.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I havent had Sky for years so dont really know much about what way it works with Netflix. But from past dealings with Sky and and being a current Netflix subscriber I know you pay extra when watching on different screens in different rooms. So Im assuming that Sky will charge €19/month extra for this privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

you can connect your existing Netflix to the sky deal and you get €8.99 towards your Netflix payment, which covers the basic plan.

You can also sign up to sky glass which they don't charge for HD, only UHD. Although I think in Ireland they still don't offer Sky stream

which lets you not buy a tv from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What do.i have to do to get the netflix to work with them. Do they give you a new netflix account or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You use your existing Netflix account if you have one. If not then you create a Netflix account.

Steps here

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass-using-netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Schorpio

€100 a year for HD is madness in 2024 imo, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

"HD" is a TV only term ( first used in the 1930's) that is a moving target based on the technology of the day.

The lowest acceptable resolution these days is 1080 , and anything lower is gradually being phased out , at which point 1080 becomes the " new " SD and 2160p becomes the new HD.

Suppliers like Sky and others charging for " HD " has always been a rip off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

Advertisement