Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Such a big anticlimax after opening weekend.

At least it gives the JoeMcD a few minutes of space on the Sunday Game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It's 4pm let the puke football begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

What a tragic comment. If that's puke, let it regurgitate all championship long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A few extra steps there before the pass to the goal scorer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Holy f*ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You got that wrong anyway, great match!

I was thinking countrywide it must be between Monaghan and Roscommon as the neutrals favorites? I like both anyway!

Always punching above their weight. Not big populations but with some great footballers and astute management. Always have a go. Never say die.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

The absolute balls of o Toole to go for a goal there, 30 seconds left and a point down. What a game!!

Yes I did. It was a great game. Amazing finish, didn't think Monaghan would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Excellent game of football. Tyrone inching in front in the fifth minute of six added minutes it looked a fatal blow but to show such guts and composure to fire in that last gasp goal it says it all about Monaghan. Tyrone played their part in a great advert for the game. Ulster football at it's best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Have a soft spot for Monaghan but jaysus the ref gave Tyrone absolutely nothing. Tyrone were way off their first half performance in the second half but still a point wrongly ruled wide and a lot of questionable decisions, couldn’t blame them if they felt robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Quite a mad thing to do really. Not sure what was going through his head. The goal wasnt really a good chance, probably should have been stopped. I was certain a handpass over the bar and extra time. Some balls on him.

Great game. Injury time was mad, score for score every minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is that Tyrone into pot 3 as well……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭HBC08

Paul Flynnn just saying it and I thought it aswell,if he was more experienced he would have taken the point.

It was at at bad angle with Niall Morgan and another defender between him and the goal,delighted it came off for him.

Was debating whether to watch this match or not with the lovely weather outside but glad I did,a classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I would have taken the point myself. I'd imagine most would do the same and been happy with the draw. The innocence/bravery of youth thought otherwise. Fortune favoured the brave this time for sure. A sweet win especially away from home.

I doubt if anyone in Tyrone will be blaming the ref for that defeat. Tyrone were very flat, there’s something not right in their set up imo.

Would agree with that but fact remains ref had a very poor day. Tyrone were well off their best in the second half but the ref was the difference between the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

A bit like mayo last weekend I don’t know would Galway be too disappointed if they do lose next weekend (after the dust settles initially !)

They would then avoid mayo and Tyrone for sure in the group ……

• Advertisement

I thought the referee was equally bad for both teams but i don’t think he decided the game. Tyrone will be kicking themselves for conceding that goal near the end, they were asleep for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

Not sure they will, they've a nice break now until the real championship begins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

when I saw the goal, even though it won the game I thought “WTF is he doing not taking the point?”. Great end to game and great to see but it was probably the wrong choice from a percentages POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,434 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nothing else on his mind the minute he got the ball. That lad will always take it on.

Fair play Monaghan, I had all but given up on them at half time, but they took the game to them and it paid off. Bigger day ahead now with Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

We would like to win connaught though...its still good to be Connaught champions.

Not sure have we the steel to beat the rossies. Ref will be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

To say the ref was the difference between the teams is a bizarre comment. He made a few bad calls on either side - but down the stretch when Monaghan were in the ascendency, I thought he gave Tyrone a couple of soft frees to keep them in touch, not to mention McNamee getting away with giving a dig in the ribs and a questionable penalty call on Gallagher. Don't think the ref played a part in the result, but if one team got the rub of the green then I'd say it was Tyrone.

Mental game, didn't see that 2nd half from Monaghan coming after how they performed in the 1st. Big 2nd half performances by Beggan, O'Hanlon, McCarthy among others. D Canavan was outrageous in the 1st half and McCurry had a hand in everything, but Monaghan got a better hold on them in the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

A compromise solution there is that two Ulster quarter-finals take place on the same weekend as the preliminary round. The other two quarter-finals on the following weekend. The four Leinster quarter-finals are on next Sunday.

-1. League finals.

0. Weekend off.

1. Leinster and Ulster preliminary rounds. 2 Ulster quarter-finals. Connacht and Munster quarter-finals.

2. Leinster x4 and Ulster x2 quarter-finals.

3. Connacht and Munster semi-finals.

4. Leinster and Ulster semi-finals.

5. Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Ulster finals.

Tyrone v Monaghan was enjoyable this afternoon. The opening two weekends of the provincial football championships have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭blowitupref

And they say the provincial championship doesn't matter anymore? Very much mattered. Big crowd in attendance in Omagh, two teams that gave their all and that's all any supporter from the two teams would want from any championship match. Do well to see a better match than that this year, well done to Monaghan.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t give Tyrone much chance of winning an All Ireland, they look like a team with a lot of lads happy to have a Celtic Cross in their back pocket and aren’t too bothered any more, time will tell of course.

Omagh is 17k capacity. It's not like it takes a record breaking crowd to sell it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Maybe not, but probably one person in 8 in Monaghan was there in person.

Ya I'm being a bit harsh. Always great to see people enjoy live sport whatever the tournament.

I wonder is it something that they have focuses on a lot in training. Even the O Hanlon go, you very often see when an attacker cuts inside from an angle, its hand passed over.

Cant see them winning it either. They dont seem to be consistent enough to win enough top level games that they will need to so win the AI.

However they could easily take out a live contender e.g. Kerry.

• Advertisement

plan was and in the years ahead will be again to make these provincial championship games like the pre-season comps. Be lucky to see 3 to 5k at Monaghan v Tyrone game then and both won't be playing first choice teams.

Mccurry’s point was over rte showed and not given, that’s on the umpires more than the ref I suppose to be fair. Thought Monaghan got a fair few soft frees personally, especially in the first half that kept them within shouting distance.

Tyrone scored three frees and Monaghan ten, I’m not sure how many each missed but Monaghan certainly got far more scoreable frees imo when I didn’t think there was much if any difference in how the two teams defended.

I don't think anyone wants to be drawing Tyrone in the group stage. Another dangerous Seed 3 opponent alongside Mayo. Provincial winners will be home to Seed 3. Provincial runners-up will be away to Seed 3.

All this talk about teams losing on purpose will be funny if the group draws don’t turn out as some teams hoped they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You should build in a two week break after the end of the regular League. At least with the Championship, every team knows the schedule since last December, and should have their preparations done accordingly. With the League, teams can have to wait until the last round to know if they are in the top two. Leaving only one week to prepare for a big day out in Croke Park, with a national title at stake.

Teams can survive playing four weekends in a row as Sligo and Wicklow demonstrated. Mayo was the only one to fall, but if I read you correctly, you would be putting Derry and Fermanagh on to that schedule as well. In a winner takes all (in Ulster terms) contest.

• Advertisement

I got it wrong, never afraid to admit it when it happens.

The provincial championships this year are over 6 weekends. I'm suggesting 5 weekends instead ensuring that all league finalists have a weekend off.

Problem is it is THE ONLY provincial football championship that matters, more often than not the sides are so competitive with each other - they all play the same way and it ends up dour.

The Tyrone v Monaghan match is hopefully not a one off, and is a sign of things to come.

It is no confidence that there is only one half decent hurling county from Ulster, the main focus is football - so the depth in Ulster is strong. Maybe someone can explain to me why football is so strong in comparison to hurling in almost all of the counties from Ulster? I know a few are going to mention Shaughneil's but that is at club level.

As far as I can remember I always associate Ulster with football. With Antrim being the odd ones out capable of causing hurling shocks. Is it just a quirk of geography/history or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,224 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Reminded me of the Babs Keating quote on the short distance between a clap on the back and a kick in the arse had Monaghan lost by a point.

Fair play to him, it took a lot of guts from a young lad wearing number 7. In fairness to Monaghan if there is one thing they are never lacking it`s guts.

Connacht matters. Anyone of three Div 1 teams can win it with big crowds turning up for those games and Sligo with the work they are doing at underage should improve in the years ahead. While Kerry and Dublin should still win their provincial championship comfortably the new format adds a bit of spice to certain matches such as Clare needing to win v Cork to avoid the B All Ireland and Meath probably in a similar situation in Leinster. 

Antrim would be the strongest Hurling team in Ulster followed by Derry,Tyrone who play in the Christy Ring Cup at least every Ulster county team competes in the league and championship hurling unlike Kilkenny footballers who withdrew from the NFL in 2012 and still showing no sign of returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

This new system made sense to someone on paper but with the lopsided nature of the provincial championships, it's just looking more and more of a danger to win your province. At this stage it's as safe to be a third seed by losing early, as it is to win your province.

If provincial winners fare badly in the round robin it's going to cause a big rethink over winter among intercounty managers. Days then like yesterday will be extinct, even as early as next year.

Third seeds are away to provincial winners in Round 1. Losing the first game will be putting themselves under a bit of pressure. A good Seed 2 at home will beat the Seed 4 team in Round 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Really enjoyable game yesterday, built into a great climax with the goal being the icing on the cake.

Begs the question, why do we allow the flick with the hand over the bar instead of encouraging lads to go for goal? There is zero skill in throwing a ball over the bar from a tight angle, but I can guarantee everyone who was watching that game yesterday jumped up when the goal went in!

There would be other consequences, but why not just ban that handpass point? Make the goal count for 4 points itld it helps, but there is something primal and fundamental to the game seeing the ball being kicked to the net IMHO.

I disagree on Connacht as well Mayo have stopped worrying about it long ago. Galway heading the same way.

The Rossies are decent now. But historically it's only really two teams. The last time I can remember Connacht 'meaning' something was when Sligo won it.

The fact is the backdoor system has made the provincials an afterthought. How many neutrals remember that the Rossies beat Galway in 2001? The record books say Galway won Sam that is what most remember.

I agree with you on encouraging fellas to go for goal. I always found the 'take your points and the goals will come' maxim. a silly one.

If a fella is better/more comfortable taking goals instead of points - he should go for goals. I remember when Jayo/Sherlock was on the scene for Dublin as a young lad he could barely kick points - even from a short distance. But he was a massive goal threat when he ran with the ball.

Also Dublin wouldn't have gotten so close to an AI in 2002 only for Ray Cosgrove the fella scored six that year!

--

O'Toole for Monaghan (because he is a young lad) scored that goal on instinct. What he was comfortable with in that moment. You will probably have coaches trying to 'train' that out of him and go for the 'sensible' safe option. But I think you have to give a few players with a bit of spark the licence play off the cuff. Goals really give a team a lift and momentum.

I think the 'take the points and the goals will come' is sort of an Irish cultural mindset thing. Not wanting to 'show off' and attract attention. If a nation like America played Gaelic football as their main sport - they would want to entertain the crowd. Go for goals - show a bit of swagger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement