Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for pensioner

• 03-04-2023 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Hello, I hope this is the correct forum for this question

My mother has a sizable bill with VM and wants to cancel her account, but still wishes to have a TV service, I'm aware of scenarios where people have the Irish and UK FTA channels (my father in law has this) - however my mother mentioned that she'd like the ability to record the soaps as she isn't always around at 7.30pm

Does such an option exist? Would it be pricey?

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

Yes, lot's of options exist. There'll be a one time fee to cover installation of a satellite dish + aerial and a box to replace your current VM box. I'd guess in the €300 - €400 range. The recording is totally fine, just make sure the installer knows that this is what you want. They might recommend a box with a built in hard drive (HDD) which will add a little on to the cost. Just search for saorview installers and you should find plenty of them. You should get RTE, Virgin Media, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and various other channels. It's probably worth letting the installer know which channels you want and in what order otherwise you'll end up with hundreds of junk channels.

One thing to watch out for is that over time the channels can hop around so you will occasionally need to re-tune the box; that's something you don't have to worry about with paid subscriptions but overall I find it worth the small hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was actually reading this looking for advice myself but... if they're on VM are they on the VM Player? If so, something simple like a NowTV stick would give her catch up on the soaps without needing to record, and she'd have the hang of it really quickly.

ETA: just had a quick look for a link and see the Now TV sticks have been discontinued 🙈

I actually have a spare gathering dust that I picked up when they had a good sports offer. If you're interested, PM me, I'll post it to you

Answers

Advertisement