Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner wanting to start playing golf

Options
  • 03-04-2023 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

As the title states, I'm looking to begin or give golf a go. I've never played a full game of golf or been on a golf course. I have however been to the driving range on a few occasions. But lately I've gotten the urge to want to play a full game or whatever else to relax or kill a few hours. I just don't know where to start, as to where to even begin. I do own a set of golf clubs which is a good start but then after that I'm lost. I presume there is classes/courses for adults? Also the other thing I always wondered, I know for a fact I will be struggling at the start and it will take me longer to get around the course, but if I am slow, will people behind me be annoyed waiting around for me to finish the hole or will they just move onto the next if I let them pass? or what way does that work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There are some clubs or Driving Ranges that offer "Getting Into Golf" sessions.

They're generally group sessions that are made up of people like yourself, never played club golf and interested on getting in to it. So it may be worth ringing around your local clubs to see if they are running anything along that lines.

Most people are going to be relatively accommodating of new people on a course, as long as you're not taking it too far. If you're keeping up pace with the people in front of you, then you're fine. If you are too slow, and holding things up, you can just call a group behind you through, and let them play past you.

Generally most groups will be playing a format called stableford that aims to limit the amount of shots that you should take on a hole. That could be, for example, 6 or 7 shots on par 4 hole. The idea is that, once you've taken more than that number you've "scratched" the hole and should move on to the next one. It definitely helps to keep pace up.

If there's one close by, you could try playing a par 3 golf course, it's a much shorter format, you'll get around in half the time of a full course and can be an easier intro to playing on a golf course.

Good luck with it. Don't be scared to get out on a course, everyone has to start somewhere. Just be conscious of your environment and the people around you and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

If you've any mates or colleagues that are golfers, tap them up for a chat. They'd be happy to give you pointers and guide you along the way at the beginning. Sure there's a bit of lingo and learning etiquette at the start. Your best bet is to practice as much as possible and try to get out for a few holes with someone you know. Don't worry about other people or being slow, after a couple of rounds, you'll have figured out most of it.

One thing that I wish I did more of was play par 3 courses or pitch/putt at the start. The majority of your shots are inside par 3 or pitch and putt distance. If you can wedge, chip and putt then you'll be absolutely flying. The longer irons and driver/woods can be figured out at the range.

When I started, anyone I got paired with was very helpful and accommodating. Most people are dead sound and understand we all have to start somewhere. If you have the chance to get any instruction/lessons, it's a great way to eliminate bad habits at the start. My only other advice isn't don't take the bad shots or mistakes too hard. Absolutely every club golfer makes a bunch of errors each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Everyone who is starting out is/was the same. Takes a little while to get used to the pace of play etc. Remember, you are not alone! Established players will understand. Par 3s to start is a great idea. Usually more relaxed and not as daunting. Golf Societies are also a good starting point. Most have golfers at all levels playing regularly and there's hundreds of them in the country. Usually, you get to play different courses on a monthly basis. there are even par 3 based societies in some areas. Where are you based? Someone here will know of a society near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭CWMMC

Thanks for the response, can you explain to me what golf societies are? Also I'm based in Wexford town.

With the whole scratching the hole, how do you record that or would you even record that on the sheet? I know at the start the score wouldn't matter too much as your just getting into it and getting use to the feel and rules but I would also like to keep track of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Usually just put a x down. On the computer recording your score, you put a 0.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

That's brilliant 😂

And best of luck OP. Basically it'll come down to time for you. If you can spend some time playing, some time practicing and get a few lessons you'll pick it up before too long. And by pick it up I mean by the end of the summer you'll hopefully have a decent few bogeys on the card each round and an occasional par.

Golf societies are groups of golfers who organise golf days at different clubs - maybe once a month for the summer. Usually, societies are associated with work places, a sports club, pub, etc. They can be made up of regular golfers who will be members of a club, people who play regularly but are not members of a club, people who only play with the society, people new to the game. Great way to meet people and get into golf. The society will give you a handicap based on your ability. Its not an official GI hcp but will be a good indication of where you stand.

There are a number of societies around Co. Wexford, I know there are a couple of bar based ones in Wexford Town, Enniscorthy and New Ross. There are good societies in Taghmon and Templars GS in Fethard is very well run. There's also the Boards Golf Society.

Some just play the par 3 courses like Rathaspeck Manor near you, Abbey par 3 near Fethard, Blackwater etc. Others play the regular golf courses. There's normally a yearly subscription (not too expensive) and green fees at reduced rates - especially for the more established societies. Ask work colleagues, friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭CWMMC

Thanks for that answer. So Golf societies are basically like teams/clubs outside of the golf courses themselves like. Obviously I've never heard of a golf society before so I don't know where to look for one straight away. Is there websites or anything for them if you know?

If you are in Wexford town, enquire in the Golf Club or better still, take a trip out to Rathaspeck Manor Golf course and they will know of the Societies in the area that use their courses. Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement