Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Burren Marathon runners?

Options
  • 03-04-2023 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has run this before and what type of runners they wore? . I have trail runners but have never worn for a full marathon distance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I’ve ran it twice. I’d probably go with trail shoes but there is a nice bit of road, probably 7/8 miles total, so they need to be comfortable enough for that. If the weather is dry and the ground is good, plenty of people have worn road shoes with no issue. What kind of trail shoes have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Thanks - I have a pair of Saucony peregrine iso trail runners,they are very comfortable but I have never been on a road with them or over a long distance. Yeah it probably makes sense to base it on the weather, I have a couple of pairs of Asics which might work on a dry day but if wet wear the trail runners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

This is very dependent on the weather before or on the day. Normal road runners would be good if its a dry day and weeks leading up to the race. I would only consider trail if the course is likely to be wet. A good chunk of the Marathon is on good trails and road.

The half marathon is different as you go across an open mountain section with a steep decent so for the half trail would be advised regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Exactly what Ger said above, I’ve run the full a few times and while it’s challenging it very enjoyable and scenic.

I’ve only ever worn “normal” runners but when it was very wet I struggled in some areas.

On balance I wouldn’t wear trail shoes as there’s a fair bit of road to navigate

TbL

I agree with Ger and TbL after thinking about it a bit. Road shoes are the best choice for dry conditions on that route.

The only trail shoe I’d wear on that route if it’s wet are the Hoka Speedgoats which have great grip and are very well cushioned so won’t give you a problem on the roads. I’m sure there are other brands or models with similar type cushioning but trail shoes are very firm in general. I think the ASICS trabuco max is supposed to be similar if you get on well with ASICS shoes. I have a pair of the Peregrines and find them pretty firm and only really wear them on fairly soft ground.

Hard one to call but the weather forecast is the dealbreaker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Second the Hoka Speedgoats. I use them if I have to run on a road to get to a trail. Best compromise. I prefer Inov, especially on sticky ground, but find them hard to use on roads. But the weather does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Where are the results posted from today??

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

So I ran the half in the end as I had a niggle. Day was a scorcher so I didnt regret it. Ballyvaughan is a lovely village and the race was well organised. Beautiful route through the Burren, it would be tricky enough coming down some of those hills on a wet day. Best review is that Ill be back next year hopefully for the full marathon.

Advertisement