Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death certificate

Options
  • 03-04-2023 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I'm struggling to find a death certificate for a Thomas Brennan. The only record I have with his name on it is this marriage cert where it shows his occupation as being a carpenter (last entry) - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10836/5952834.pdf. I had a look for deaths in Dublin South between 1886 and 1940 but no luck. Part of the problem is that I don't have a whole lot to work off. Good chance that his occupation was something else at the time of death.

As an aside I went through a good few marriage records in Dublin around 1886 but couldn't find any other reference to Thomas/carpenter. Am I right in presuming he was alive in 1886 considering other names on the page mentioned those deceased?

I've been told that the Brennan family were from Aughrim but I haven't been able to confirm this. But I took a look through some of the Rathdrum records and again no joy.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you found the family on the census?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mindhorn

I checked the 1901 census in Wicklow but nothing stands out. Also had a look at all other counties and only a couple of carpenters (and only one in Dublin who happened to be born in Wicklow, again assuming he's from that county, but he's aged 18).

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

It's possible he was already dead by the time of this marriage. I have come across certs where I know the father was deceased but it was not noted on the cert.

As both parties are at the same address at the time of marriage (she was a servant in the house) I would guess she had moved from her home place before the marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I think I have found Margaret Brennan/Joseph Whelan on the 1901 Census. She is born in Wicklow. They have sons called Laurence and Thomas which ties in with the names of the fathers on the marriage cert

For some reason I can't provide the link but if you look for a Joseph Whelan aged 35 in Dublin you will find him with a wife called Margaret and a load of kids!

1901:http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Trinity/Asylum_Yard/1309487/

1911:http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Trinity_Ward/Asylum_Yard/87673/

Post edited by Hermy on

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mindhorn

Ah yes, forgot to include that part about the census! Thanks. Yes, that's the same Margaret Brennan. So maybe there's some truth to her being from Aughrim. Am I right to be looking at the Rathdrum records for anything related to Aughrim?

As an aside, they had eight sons, most fought in WWI and all survived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, that should be Rathdrum SRD.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement