Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evergreen quick growing fail-safe ground cover

Options
  • 03-04-2023 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend something that is foolproof and reliable?

I have geranium Rozanne, which I love, but it disappears in the winter.

I have vinca major and periwinkle, but it’s not really thriving. Same problem with Euonymus.

I’ve to cover a long, narrow and mostly shaded area, alongside a copper beach hedge.

I like Heather, but I don’t think there’s enough sun for it.

It doesn’t have to be flowering, just to keep weeds away, or at least hide them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I love this stuff https://johnstowngardencentre.ie/saxifraga-x-urbium.html

Was just admiring a huge mat of it yday in my sister's garden, it has such pretty shaped leaves and does throw up a nice flower in spring/summer but the leaves alone are lovely.

I have some in my garden too but not in as big a clump as hers, it's just growing as I only planted it couple of years ago. I got mine from her garden and I potted up loads of little bits from hers last Oct or so to increase my coverage of it as well. If you knew anyone who had some it's very east take bits to root as it would be expensive buying enough. Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ajuga reptans - bugle. Thrives in partial shade for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Thank you both.

like the description of ‘bomb proof’ for the bugle.

Garden is in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have Golden dead nettle (Lamium galeobdolon) growing enthusiastically on a very shaded, almost soil free slope behind my house. Granted there is much more of it at the end that gets a bit of morning sun and does have a little soil, but there are bits of it in the most challenging places. It is variegated and has pretty yellow flowers and is so vigorous that it could easily be described as invasive (its related to mint), it is welcome to be as invasive as it wishes in that area.

Advertisement