Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walled garden, new build pricing

Options
  • 03-04-2023 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just trying to get a soundnig here about a project I would like to proceed with, but thinking that is seems overpriced.

Live in a semi-d 4 bed, built 2018.

Wanted to pull up some old slabs and put down a new slabs, roughly 24sqm of porcelan (approx) an3 40 sq m of Artifical grass, a raised bed with soil. All in, supply and fit, coming in at just under 10k. Would love some large trees for back wall for increased privacy but cannot even go there as quote received is in excess of what I had envisaged.

Obviously I know all prices have gone up across the board recently but I did not expect by that much.

I could stretch the budget to go that far but just thinking it wouldn't be worth it.

Would love to know if anyone has had anthing similar done recently.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Would anyone have any input/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

"40 sq m of Artifical grass"

Please don't do it. It looks awful.

A photo would help with giving more suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think what you are trying to do is create a very tidy, instant back yard with no maintenance once it is done? How much it will cost is like asking how long is a piece of string! 10k sounds like a lot but once you start adding in all the details it might be more reasonable. All I can suggest is that you get more quotes.

Roughly what part of the country are you? Presumably an urban situation? Is there ready access to the area? How much work does it need? Will there be issues linking the paving to the house wall - is there a slope, will it need steps, what about drainage? Getting rid of the old slabs and any unneeded soil will cost. What is the raised bed made from? Could be anything from timber to blocks to bricks/stone whatever, which could make a lot of difference to the price. Is there any more edging/building to do?

Will you want to do something with the walls? Are they rendered or bare block?

If you do decide to put in large mature trees you will need a large piece of machinery to do it, you don't want it going across your new slabs etc so you need to decide that first.

Mature trees are not necessary, even if you put in the kind of tree you buy at a garden centre about 10ft high in a largish pot it will be a decent sized tree within a few years.

There will always be some maintenance, even if it is only sweeping up and getting weeds out of the corners they will insist on growing in. To some extent, shiny new slabs and artificial grass have to be kept to a higher degree of tidiness than something more relaxed.

Advertisement