Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

In the 80s we didnt talk about emigrating. We just assumed thats what we were all going to do when we left school and most of us did it. For my generation i would say most of us came back around the late 90s or early 00s.

I hear my kids talking about emigrating now and read other people saying they are going to emigrate all the time. To them emigration is a year in Australia with talk of staying there forever after their Visa is up. over 99% of them still come back though. And what do they talk about when they are back? When they are going to emigrate again, but they dont actually do it. Life is too easy for now for there to be mass emigration from Ireland. Thats not me saying life is a walk in the park for them, but its so, so much better than their prospects would have beem in the 80s. And the 60s and 70s were even worse from what I heard from the generation before me.

Advertisement