Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Pressure Dropping

Options
  • 03-04-2023 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys, I recently renovated my home and the pressure in the new boiler is dropping every month or so. I presume this means there is a leak somewhere in the system and I'm wondering if there is any way to locate this without tearing the house apart?

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: May be more appropriate for plumbing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What was replaced on the renovation?

Does it drop gradually or seem ok for weeks then drop in one go?

On a recent renovation I had an issue with boiler pressure dropping occasionally, it could be ok for a few weeks, then it would drop. I traced it down to the water not having any path, when the zone valves turn off, so seemed to be venting off via the 3 bar release valve. There was no automatic bypass fitted, so i just opened the flow the hot cylinder (not zoned). Since I increased the flow to the hot cylinder, the pressure hasn't dropped in 3 months (or so).

Find the pipe from the 3 bar pressure release valve and place a balloon or rubber glove on it. If anything vents off, this will fill with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I had the same thing. I found it as there was tiny streak of rust on a rad's blanking plug. That was enough to cause pressure loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Thanks lads, it's fine for three or four weeks, then drops in one go. I will review your suggestions and hopefully that might solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

That timing was just like mine. Def check your rads and all joints for corrosion where a leak might occur

• Advertisement
Advertisement