Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi reliably

Options
  • 04-04-2023 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

So in 3 years I am on my 3rd zapppi.

First was "recalled" for having an oversensitive internal RCD. I say "recalled" because it wasn't until I went asking questions to myenergi. That was 10 months old.

Second one lasted lest than 2 years with an output fault when the main contactor failed.

So here I am in on the 3rd one in less than 3 years, at least its the new one.

Spoke to a chap I know and he's on his second in under a year?????

I will say they have been quick to replace them, even sending their own sparks the last time.

Anyone else had one fail ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

I had a new one fitted in October, failed a week later - replaced quickly with no hassle. Replacement engineer said he's flat out replacing zappi's and highly recommended taking their extended warranty out

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

Hi Mick,

So I'm not alone.....

I didn't know about the extended warranty. Its now over 3 years since I bought originally. I wonder can I take it out since I have a new one.

I'll contact them and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Im a few years in with mine.

Screen developed a dud line in the LCD so they sent me a new LCD screen and I fitted it myself

The plastic over the screen also degraded (a well known issue) and they sent me a new cover.

But functionally the Zappi hasn't let me down at all. 100% reliable.... touch wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm coming up to two years without any issues

I think they did have some issues over the past few years with dodgy units getting out. I'm guessing they've had to ramp production quickly which probably resulted in a quality drop

I still think they're a decent product and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of chargers out there with the same level of features and the ecosystem to go with it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

im considering the extended warranty anyway. I know people say they should cover for x years anyway.. but will be less hassle with the extended warranty. Its 140 euro for the extra warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Also on our third in 3 years. The current one has been reliable for over a year...🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

How many years warranty do you get for €140 ? Does it cover fitting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I raised this point with a very reputable installer who started the are very reliable. One or two known issues but addressed quickly if an issue and the customer support is excellent. I did however take out the extended warranty anyway on both the eddi and zappi.

Very reliable when they work yes,

Is there customer support so good that we are not seeing many complaints online?

@eagerv Would you recommend a zappi to your friends/family ? I don't think I would anymore

the customer service is good. i logged my issue, sent pictures and had a replacement approved same day - was with me 2 days later and their replacement engineer came next week to replace.. hopefully they get on top of the issues as i think its a pretty good product otherwise.

• Advertisement

I just logged into the website and it says my new zappi is under warranty for 3 years so at least that's something.

First time they sent me one was before they had an Irish branch so I just replaced it myself. Very easy, this time they sent someone (very,very professional outfit) .I dont think they have a record of replacing mine before or at least they never mentioned it. They just took the serial number

I know we have had numerous early problems, but I think the latest model is a lot better than the early ones. So I probably would now recommend, even though most installers like Zappis because of the ease of installing. When I quizzed the last fella who came to replace unit, he said he personally prefers Wallbox for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭10-10-20

140 EUR warranty for a product that is around ~770 EUR to buy, seems like they are expecting a lot of failures!? It's a simple EV charger at the end of the day - this isn't rocket-science.

maybe not rocket science but it does load balancing and has built in connectivity to their 'eddi' pv diversion devices.. smarter than your average bear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Good points:

Customer service is good no quibble replacements

Solar integration is best on market with extra things like eddi for solar hot water etc.

They are so popular there is bound to be a good few failures as there are so many in use.

Bad points

There was known whole batches of bad units sold that all broke down.

Lots of reports of them failing, screens failing, buttons and visually them going bad.

My one was never in direct sunlight (north side of house) yet it yellowed heavily.

Lots of reports of corrosion of the plug on the tethered units, the rubber cover is a "dust" cover and actually fills with water corroding the pins. They were supplying a wall holder for free if you asked. Other option is to ensure plug faces down always. Common issue with other tethered brands that don't have a wall mount holder for the plug.

In general they are relatively big and the screen menus are hard to navigate with the app not having the same options.

The can have issues with firmware updates breaking things that used to work and they often have issues where they don't work correctly with newer cars mostly as newer cats were never tested with zappi and the issue is on the car side but can be worked around by zappi settings.

They are also expensive with an rrp of 1000 euro while my old tethered zappi v1 was 650 euro if I remember 5 years ago. So price per unit is very high now. That said other brands have issues too. I keep a granny cable as a backup.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

i got a v1 Zappi installed in November 2019 & it was trouble free for 2 years, then we got the tethered cable replaced under warranty last year but now its stopped working & out of warranty by 6 months, so be careful. You can extend the warranty for an additional 2 years so i'd recommend that to anyone considering a Zappi

Do they sell the cables seperatly ?

I now have 2 complete units for spares . Unfortunately they are different board revisions .

I'm going to attempt a repair of one of them myself, if i ever find the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

i'm not sure if they do, but they replaced my tethered cable last year under warranty. I have the old one still here too. It was the connection on the inside of the unit that was the problem last time. seems it can cause problems

Interesting.

When my last one failed they suspected the connections at the charger side of the cable (it was't).

I've seen the screw down terminals snap on the input side too.

Keep that for spares. The screen & cable will definitely come in handy in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Omacron

A little late to this but considering Zappi as a replacement charger. Originally had Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed April 2022 and it stopped working last month. 2 year warranty, was neat on the wall and cheaper than zappi. The Wallbox was examined by electrician they thought on probability manufacturing defect however Wallbox refuse to honour warranty. So trying to sort that with WallBox however their support a difficult to deal with. So the point of this post, appears zappi from above at least support their warranty where issues. When you folks had issues was it as simple as contacting Zappi to sort or did you go through installer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

I've had to engage with the MyEnergi team for a number of queries over the years (mostly settings related on hubs, eddi but also the zappi). Very good customer service (quick knowledgeable replies, not just copy and paste answers). I've also had a hardware issue with my zappi (the communication wire within the cable has broken, this required the whole cable to be replaced). I contacted MyEnergi and as I was still within warranty, they asked for contact details of my installer and they got in touch with the installer. The installer called me a few days later to arrange a time, all work fully covered by MyEnergi.

The communication wire likely broken from the cable being wound too tightly around the zappi when not in use (this was with a PHEV so it was being taken on and off the stand daily). Now I'm lopping it much more lazily. Had I gone non-tethered I'd probably have just replaced the Type 2 cable myself, but I was very impressed with MyEnergi services (which is why I'd no problem diving deeper into the MyEnergi ecosystem with an Eddi).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll echo what the others have said. The myenergi products are not the most reliable. But when there is a problem, it will be fixed under warranty (after you have had decent tech support trying to fix) and their functionality is second to none. Would I buy again? Sure would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

My Zappy worked flawlessly since July 2018 until a few weeks back and now it regularly reports a power supply fault when car is unplugged while on. eco+ setting. Needs to be reset by switching off breaker (can take a number of attempts). Works fine on fast setting. Myenergie have said they would send out an engineer to have a look.

Got our first Zappi three and a half years ago, have had a few problems over the years, now on our third head (Or perhaps two plus innards replaced in one😊). All quickly replaced after calling Myenergi, who efficiently organised their installer once new unit had arrived at our house.

Less than two weeks ago noticed original tethered plug had worsening cracks, had been monitoring hairline cracks over the last while. Seems to have become very brittle after 3 years outside, it has never been dropped or driven over. It isn't even in direct sunlight for most of the day.

Called Myenergi last week and sent on a few pics as requested. No questions asked, a new cable and plug arrived this morning requesting me not to get it fitted ourselves, instead to wait until their installer arrives within a few days. Old one works fine, so no panic.

Impressed with the service from Myenergi.

Looks like the head was in full sunshine a lot while charging the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Some of those plastics degrade without full sunlight. Most should be UV stable, but there is a trade-off between robustness and UV resistance in some plastic mixes.

I was wondering as I also had a zappi that was about 3-4 years old and it was nowhere near as discoloured.

Max a few hours a day when sunny, but still shouldn't break down as it did.

Hopefully the quality of plastic has improved (Similar to the head units, think they used to have a plastic problem as well..)

had a new one on me today - contactor fault? hold the menu button for 3 seconds and the charger restarted.. was charging surplus solar at the time and got a notification from the car that charging stopped.. seemed to be working fine again

• Advertisement

Has happened with us very occasionally over the years also. Normally when on reduced output, as in your case.

Don't think it is anything to worry about..

Advertisement