Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Used Campervan from a company named Luma in Britain

• 04-04-2023 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello ,

Yes I have read the 3 pages from the thread re importing used camper van from Britain post Brexit but I can't find a definitive answer and the thread seems to be in hibernation, hence the new thread .

I' m trying to but a used Campervan van from a company called Luma which is based in Doncaster . I'm getting a bit frustrated with the lack of information re the camper itself and the charges for me to have the van delivered to Southern Ireland . The salesman assures me that the VRT at 13% in the only extra charge .But I've read the other thread on Boards and the Revenue website and I'm fairly sure I'll have to pay VAT at 23%.

Does anybody have an experience of dealing with Luma ?

Can anybody definitively tell me what extra charges I will incur ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That company looks like a Scam company, the whole website is a bit sketchy.

I would stay away from them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Agree, don't buy a van unless you check them out well and can go over to collect it or have the AA check it out. Basically there was scam in pandemic where boats were been sold online, the ads were lifted from other sites and the company name was the same as a real company that didn't have much of an online presence.

They'd pressure you into buying and their prices were always a great deal but somebody else was looking that the boat to and you'd better act fast.

To answer your question if you paid 10K for van, you'd pay 10% duty so 1000 euros then 23% vat of 11000 euros so 2530 and then 13% of the open market selling prices, which if a figure made up by revenue it would probably be at lease 13500 euros so another 1700 is euros.

But again that site looks like a scam

The reg on this van looks photo shoped to match the rest of the ad

https://luma-caravans.com/listings/volkswagen-t4-westfalia-california/#lg=1&slide=2

Post edited by spaceHopper on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whinger1

Thanks Spacehopper and cjhaughey .

I had an email conversation with a 'Luma manager ' which had twenty over and backs over two days . From the off it seemed suspicious to me . I was getting vague answers to some of my questions and no answers to others . Eventually the 'manager' felt I was insulting him with all the questions . With him, from very early on , it was a case of ,send me your details and well get this deal done .

So there the story ends .

Thanks again for the replies .

There is a luma campers on facebook that looks like a small company doing conversions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Good job you posted. Def looks like a scam. The motorhomes are about €20k cheaper than normal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They keep reappearing under different names, if you do a reverse image search you'll see the genuine photos somewhere else. They were around four years ago when I was searching.

Here's an email they sent me after I expressed an interested but insisted on flying over to check it out.

Yes you can but it's more simple for you to make the transaction respecting our terms. Also, we can not offer you the VRT if you take the vehicle personally to Ireland. We can take care of the VRT only if we import it as a company. The motorhome is from a private from Norwich, United Kingdom. We can give you the contact of the owner so you can deal directly with him only if you make a deposit of 35% of the vehicle price. As we told you previously, the price includes all transaction fees, registration transfer, shipping costs, VRT and VAT. You don't have to pay anything more, just the motorhome price. If you want to buy it, we will have to make a sale contract. Once you sign the contract, you will have to pay the entire price by bank wire. All payments will be made to our branch in Ireland. After the payment is made, we will deliver the motorhome on a trailer directly at your home address. You will have 2 working days for inspection. After this, if you decide to keep it, we will handle with the registration process so you don't have to do anything more. If by any real reason you want to reject it, you just have to sign the return policy contract and we will fully refund your payment.

It's 100% a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

I had a look at the scam check sites on this website and I’m surprised that they can continue to operate. Having bought our first motorhome in Germany many years ago with some degree of trust in the vendor (mainly about the quality of the vehicle as we we brought bundles of cash with us to pay for it :-), it is depressing to imagine anybody getting caught by scoundrels like these.

I had my van shipped from Japan I bought it through a broker in the UK but I's spoken to them on the phone and checked them out well.

If you look at their english in the email it's clear they are using some kind of google translate

Advertisement