Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal Scheme - Advice please

• 04-04-2023 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone

If anyone can help or advise me, I am looking into care for my mother at the moment for the long term, as she has physical and psychological health issues. As the only child and next of kin, I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all in helping her with this

My late grandmother left the house my mothers lives in, to both my mum and I so my question is, should I apply for the fair deal or the Nursing home loan. I don't know how best to go about this.

I am married and do not live with my mother. I have helped to care for her especially over the last 2/3 years and do shopping/messages and bring her to any appointment's, etc.

But her GP also agreed and recommended, that she needed more long - term care and has started looking into this, to refer her for this.

We have no other property or business' or farm number. Her only income is her Irish pension and very small savings. My mother has no partner.

If anyone has any advice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

This would be best off over in Social Welfare I feel, I will try to move it when I am next at a computer, hope that one way or another you get a good resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Hi did this get moved to Social Welfare? Cant find it and wondering did the op get any anwers.

Sooty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If at all possible keep your mother in her own home, she should only be in a nursing home if she isn't compousmentous and can't care for herself or if she decides that she should be in one.

Ring the public health nurse, get them to visit her. See if you can get care plan in place and have HSE or Private cares paid by the HSE visit her one or ever 3 times a day.

If she has such a low income she should have a medical card or a long term illness card (not means tested). If she hasn't help her apply for one. A medical card should help with the fair deal scheme.

If she isn't all there or if she is headed to a home you should get power of attorney so you can make decisions on her behalf.

Did you get your grandmothers probate completed, is the house legally in both your names. Get professional advice, you may be able to transfer her portion into your names, you can be gifted or inherit 330K form your parent(s) in your lifetime. So if half the house is under that value she would have no assets except savings. That might help or hurt the fair deal scheme and time limits might apply. You need professional advice on this. Once you get that the sense of been overwhelmed will pass or at least lesson.

Advertisement